What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air layering

• Thread starter Dave S.
  • Start date

Dave S.

NECPS President
I have propagated non-cps using the air layering method. Is this a good way to propagate Neps, or are other methods more reliable?

Hi Dave:

Yes, air layering works for nepenthes. I have done one on a maxima X ventricosa hybrid. I think it is amongst the safest way to propagate it because it minimizes the chances of rotting the cutting, which is very common when trying to propagate neps from independent 3-node fragments.

Agustin

Oh good to hear that! I will try that too! Thanks for the thread!
Good growing!
Jan

WOW! This is a good idea....I think I'll give it a shot, too. Let me make sure I have this right:

1) nick the stem (how deep and how long should the wound be?)

2) wrap moist LFS around the wound

3) seal with platic wrap

4) wait....and wait....and wait...

5) when roots are formed, clip and pot.

Sound right to you guys?

I have had very good sucess with making cuttings from 2 and 3 node stem sections with almost no failures and have not bothered with air-layering. Most unrooted/ungrowing cuttings have been from the woody (oldest and toughest) part of the vines. the soft green vines root readily in 2" or 4" seedling/cutting pots of pure long fibered sphagnum kept only moist - not as wet as the normal growing plant soil as there is no roots to use the water in the soil anyway. Slight water stress at the roots seems to cause more vigorous root growth on cuttings (in search of more water) misting only the leaves is enough to keep the cuttings hydrated if you have the plants in the same environment as the parents (high humidity bright light and correct temperatures). I would not try rooting cuttings outside of a terrarium or greenhouse as rootless cuttings will dessicate very quickly with low humidity.

Just my thoughts!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 26 2003,5:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1) nick the stem (how deep and how long should the wound be?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I would guess that the cut should almost be halfway into the center of the stem, but this is just a guess based on some non-cps like hibiscus and ficus.

I would probably add some rooting hormone with a fungicide, but those steps seems right to me. I need to get my plants a little bigger before I try it.

Thanks for all of the feeback on this thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ June 26 2003,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Most unrooted/ungrowing cuttings have been from the woody (oldest and toughest) part of the vines.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This is the type of material that air layering works best on.

I am also in the process of air layering a nep...a miribilis.  I don't know if its rooted yet though.  I used a rooting hormone but used a bit of pantyhose for the wrap so there was some ventilation. Time will tell.

Suzanne

Back