What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos of maxima x ventricosa

Cindy

Staff member
This plant is a cutting of about a year old.  It used to be at a windowsill in an air-conditioned room, receiving about 8 hrs of bright filtered light.

mxv_different_conditions3.jpg

Notice the newer but greener pitchers...they were formed under flourescent lights (for 8hrs too) just 2 inches above the plant.

mxv_different_conditions.jpg

A closer look at the greener pitcher...it's leaner and have got less red spots.

mxv_different_conditions1.jpg

A closer look at the older pitcher...more beautiful (IMHO) and more tubby.

mxv_different_conditions2.jpg

I've moved it back to my office where the bright filtered light can be found.
smile.gif

I picked up a n. alata, n. ventricosa, and a n. vanguinea. The two latter ones were in direct sun outside. The other was inside, air conditioned, with flourescent lighting. Is the direct light for four hours TOO much? They have good sized pitchers, but nothing like the one n. alata with four inch pictchers. I wonder if hanging from a hook in a window wouldn't be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Interesting comparison!
smile.gif

How many flourescent tubes did you use in the flourescent light growing period?
It appears that there was not enough light and the pitchers have regressed to a sub-juvenile form.

The day length could be set a bit longer under the lights, about 12-14 hours would more closely simulate the tropical photoperiod.

I'm using 3 florescent tubes in the tank but it is directly under one only...the plant is only 5 inches across

Somehow I think the cold in my office helped...especially at night since both parents are highland. Also their light cycle is reversed and they get warm days.
tounge.gif
<really guilty of not giving ideal growing conditions>

Did someone say maxima x ventricosa? Mine is grown under a metal halide light with about 10 minutes of window sunlight a day.
This latest pitcher is a monster. I think it will open in the next day or so, but I thought that a week ago when it was a lot smaller:
N.%20maxima%20x%20ventricosa%203.JPG

I love this nep. Mine just grows like crazy, and the next pitcher looks like it's going to be even bigger!!! (It's on the stem sticking out to the left. It's leaf is 30% bigger than the last one, and the stem is really long and thick.)

Capslock

the reverse cross is a very attractive plant also

Back