What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep for intermediate terrarium

Hello all!
I am planning on obtaining a new Nepenthes sometime soon to place in my intermediate greenhouse-style terrarium. It is intermediate at 70*-77*F during the day, and 70*-74* at night. R.H. is usually between 60% and 75%. It currently houses two happy neps: A N. rafflesiana and a N. ventricosa, as well as a P. moranensis 'G'. I'm leaning towards Nepenthes ampularia 'Spotted'. This is a stunning plant, but if anyone thinks something may fit better, please don't hesitate to tell me! Thanks so much!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

I wouldn't recomend N. Ampullaria for an Intermediate setup, because of the fact that it is a lowland. But I haven't heard of anyone trying to grow an Amp. in an Intermediate setup so it may work. I agree though, N. Ampullaria 'spotted' is cool.
smile.gif

Mike
smile.gif

EDIT: I'd recomend N. Maxima.

Thanks, I really do love that plant, but it's a little expensive...
sad.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif

N. maxima isn't expensive unless it is a large rooted cutting. Most large cuttings I get of Nepenthes are very healthy and in great condition hence the price on them. I would also recommend N. burkei. It does good with warm nights. It is similar to N. ventricosa but IMHO it is more reddish and more of graceful pitchers. Might want to try N. gracilis also it seems to do fine in intermediate conditions. N. khasiana, N. ventrata and N. alata are also great candidates.

Do you mean Maxima or Ampullaria 'spotted'? Neither of them are exepensive.

Mike
smile.gif

Thank you so much!!! I most likely will look into either N. khasiana, N. burkei, or N. gracilis
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Im thinking N. Khasaina, or N. Fusca, they can grow in easy intermediate conditions. (if im thinking of the wrong plant...please tell me! Thanks) Personally, i would go with N. Fusca
smile.gif
Kevin

N. fusca would be very suitable provided temperatures at night hit 60F or lower preferably.

I would have The N. Raffasiana in Ultra lowland N. Amp only in ultra lowland or lowland never ever in intermediat or highland and you can get a N. Maxima boroneo lowland. I would have the N. Ventricosa in highland it pitchers way better in highland and grows faster. N. Khasiana best growes in highland conditions, if growen in intermeadia conditons it grows slower and has a shorter life expectince, and a Ping should be in lowland conditons just like a sundew to make waxy sticky leafs inorder to catch bugs. I kept a ping in inter conditions and it almost died so I dont recommend keeping it in highland or intermedia conditions and if you are going to have a seprate tank for intermdia then the night temps should be 68*f and day temps should be 74-76*f you can raise the humidity by having water trays or having the pots be in trays just like Kevin has his (Sarrluver). It is a good way to get thje humidity up. Hope you have fun and I hope I provided the information tht you need.--Phil
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phil traper2 @ April 20 2003,04:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would have The N. Raffasiana in Ultra lowland  N. Amp only in ultra lowland or lowland never ever in intermediat or highland and you can get a N. Maxima boroneo lowland. I would have the N. Ventricosa in highland it pitchers way better in highland and grows faster. N. Khasiana best growes in highland conditions, if growen in intermeadia conditons it grows slower and has a shorter life expectince, and a Ping should be in lowland conditons just like a sundew to make waxy sticky leafs inorder to catch bugs. I kept a ping in inter conditions and it almost died so I dont recommend keeping it in highland or intermedia conditions[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I know, I thought it was weird... But for some reason they grow just fine, if not great! I think it's because I rescued the N. rafflesiana from just normal household about 5 feet from a window (east facing) and it was like 68*F in there
wow.gif
So now, it's happy with what it has! But I am wondering how I could make my 24 gallon tank half lowland/half intermediate- highland? Thanks for the replies!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Making a tank into 2 seperate environments? Sounds like quite a challenge to me! You'd need a very thick sheet of insulating material such as styrafoam or fiberglass perhaps. I've not heard of such a terrarium but hey there's a first time for everything.

Thanks for the encouredgement!!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
(sp.?) I would love to try... Like styrofaom in the middle, a heater on one side, and a cooler on the other!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't probably well need a bigger tank. Whell what kind of cp do you have more highland/or lowland.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Yeah, just get another aquarium.  They're cheap!
wink.gif

Another possibility: I actually keep my intermediate/highlanders on the windowsill, and save the high T/humidity aquarium for the lowlanders.  Now that they've adjusted (venticosa 'red' and alata (H)) they seem to like the improved lighting, and are pitchering well (although the pre-windowsill pitchers are drying up):

20030420-CP-N.alata (H) & N.ventricosa 'red'-windowsill culture- small.jpg

WOW! Actually, as of now I'm building a highland setup, and buying a new tank for lowland!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Good guy for a intermediate, is an intermediate hybrid!

Ventricosa X Maxima, it's almost a weed.

Back