What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.tobaica

I've noticed that lots of people grow n.tobaica and I was wondering under what conditions you all grow it. I've always had mine in a highland/intermediate tank. I've noticed that some of you have mentioned giving it lowland conditions. TSG lists it as a highland.
I've just set up a small lowland tank, so now I can put my tobaica in either. Any ideas on which is best?
Thanks,
HOLDEN
smile.gif

Nepenthes tobaica is someting between, so it's intermediate plant like Nepenthes ventricosa

Dear all;

I could not agree with Bjorn Norman more!!!. N. tobaica and N. ventricosa are not true highlands but intermediate, or as i call them "pseudohighlands". the preffix "pseudo"  means "fake". To the extent that i have those 2 plants in my greenhouse where the temperatures right now go down to 50- 55 F at night and 75 during the day, but these don't pitcher yet. Other of my highlands do in fact pitcher at these temperatures.

Agustin

The information I have shows N. tobaica's natural habitat as growing in the Sumatra highlands at 3000' - 5000'.  I have one growing very nicely alongside my Bical at 14' here in Florida...so go figure.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I don't have one but I spent a while at Lake Toba
wink.gif
They grow all around the lake, which is a volcanic crater up in the mountains... sort of highland, but the temperature seems somewhat moderated by the lake so without as much swing as other highland habitats... intermediate sounds right. I remember it as cool and dry (for Sumatra... which is not very cool and not very dry for a Canadian
wink.gif
) You could always look up a climate chart for Lake Toba... I think that's the only area where they grow.

Back