What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Sanguinea

G

Can nepenthes sanguinea succeed on the windowsill with some superthrive and mistring? What about nepenthes hamata?

I had a hamata on my East windowsill for over a year. However! There were a lot of other tiny Nepenthes in a pan with sides that were above the tops of the pots a fair distance. Also in my part of the country humidity is not that low except during winter when it is subzero temps outside.

Can it be done? yes .. is it risky? yes
It depends alot on your personal growing conditions. Misting although beneficial wont solve everything because the moisture quickly evaporates and misting often enough to keep the humidity up will most likely rot the plants.

Would I recommend you try an expensive tempermental highland plant on your windowsill? no
You could start with something less expensive like tentaculata.

Sanguinea will probably grow fine but I do find it needs high humidity and fairly bright light to pitcher well. This might also be a good practice plant for your windowsill.
Tony

Thanks Tony. I love Nepenthes tentaculata, but I heard that it has thin leaves and doesn't do well with low humidity. Is that true? And I live in Champaign IL( close to St. Louis MO) and it it doesn't really get too dry inside, as I grow a Nepenthes Khasiana on my windowsill. and it often gets pretty humid outside( 70% to 100%). Still not enough humidity?

I mentioned tentaculata because I rank it as hard or even a little harder than hamata and if you do well with it then hamata should be fine. Yes it's leaves are thinner and has a high demand for humidity.

Many Nepenthes are alot more tolerant than what you hear about .. that they always must have super moist conditions or forget it. Simply not true although there are some that are less forgiving.

I grew many difficult Nepenthes on my windowsill for a long time. In many cases it took a long time for them to adjust to simply growing. And pitchers production was sporadic. Once conditioned however, I never had one simply drop dead because the humidity was 70% one day and 40% the next.

As long as you understand that they need a long time to adjust to harsher growing conditions. That they may not always grow optimally and that pitchers may be an infrequent occurance, it can be done. Personally I would stick to plants that will perform better in your given conditions.. although I also understand wanting to try some of the really neat Nepenthes when you see so many pics on the web!

Tony

My dad said (without a guage) that my house is around fifty percent... ts only spring time......

omg, speaking of humidity, today in english, the clasroom was cold, and disgustingly humid, i coulda thrown up... gah, weird combo, no?

Yeah, I think I'll just start out with Nepenthes Sanguinea. It has nice sized pitchers with good coloration, and will probably be able to adapt to my conditions more easily than the others. Anyone have tentaculata clips? Thanks!

Tony. N.Tentaculata CHEAP! :eek: I have NEVER seen a Tentaculata for less than &#3660. I would say that a fair amount of priceyness. If you would like to comment use the messanger if needed. Thanks.

<shrug> I dunno.. I have spotted tentaculata for &#3625
T

I think I'd like to buy it from you! But back to the question of adaptable nepenthes. How would Maxima or Spatulata fair( theese are my last two nepenthes to ask about).

If you plan to grow plants on windowsill, you should let the plants adjust to lower humidity slowly. Even my N. Ventricosa has pitchers start to wither in a less than an hour if I take it out immediately. Humidity is kept very high though. The leaves are always wet and I don't mist.

Maxima is a good windowsill candidate. Spathulata I have not grown on a windowsill but it has thick leaves with a heavy cuticle so should be able to handle humidity fluctuations.
T

I've just ordered a N. Truncata, Ventricosa, and Rafflesiana. I dont care about their humidity tolerence, I'll just slowly acclimate them to my windowsill. If that doesn't work, I'll put them in my terrarium, and soon my greenhouse( see" Alaska" post in forrums).

Back