What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Living Together

I was wondering can I grow N. Ventricosa and N. Truncata in the same terrarium? Thanks.

sure! Intermediate conditions would do fine for both of them. The truncata will get large pretty quickly though so I hope it's a large terrarium
T

Yeah really! My N.Truncata went from a 1ft plant to a 1 and 1/2ft plant from Nov up till now! FAST! and LARGE! Have a terrarium of AT LEAST 20 gallons.

Need at least 20 gallons!! Oh crap.

Yep, I never had my Truncata in my terrarium as I ordered it when it was producing mature pitchers and almost capable of flowering, so I put it in a 1 ft diamter pot that is 1 foot deep so 1ft by 1 ft or 30 cm by 30 cm. And the palnt is already getting past the pot rim about 3-6 inches so it is about a 1 and 1/2 foot diameter Truncata in a 1 ft pot. Picture? Here!
smile.gif

9889240-0d5e-01600120-.jpg

I have a 3 gallon terrarium and I just recently ordered N. Truncata from PFT. Will this work for now, Nepenthes Gracilis? Thanks. Nep. G, do you any more pics of your Nep. Truncata?

Ohh yeah! But what Tony and I are trying to tell you is that EVENTUALLY you will need a very large space for it.It should do fine in a 3 gallon tnak for a year or 2 or longer if it grows compactly.
smile.gif
I can also get more pictures of it if you would like to see more. Not a problem at all! Just say so.
smile.gif

I was trying to see if the three gallon terrarium would be perfect for the N. truncata, that's all. I just want to get prepare before it comes
smile.gif
. After that than I will worry about the plant get big.

(Asking politely) Nep. G, I would like to see more pics of the N. Truncata. Thanks.

Sure, but I gotta get new batteries for my Digital Camera so tonight they'll be up.

Ok, so how big is this N. Truncata going to get (we're talking max size leaf tip-to-tip)? I just bought one and I'm was pretty confident that it will fit in my giant, homemade, terrarium. The terrarium shelf for the neps is 2' x 5'8'' x 3'5''. It's still small (obviously) but could it outgrow this space? I thought my terraium would be big enuf for a Bical but from what i've heard I would need to severly alter my house... :confused:

Gafoto, I'm not quite sure on how big my N. Truncata is, I just ordered it.

Truncata can get 4 ft from leave tip to leave tip. The one PFT sells is in a 3 inch pot and is probably about 4-5 inches across.

Nepenthes Gracilis, Actually the N. Truncata are in 4" pots and are 6" diameter as it says in the description...

"Shipped in 4" pots, each plant is approximately 6" from leaf tip to leaf tip with 1.5-2.5" pitchers."

nice truncata NepG, i will order one when pft eventually gets N. ampullaria,
smile.gif
and other low land neps
smile.gif

post more pics =D

Well, I took a guess. I asn't sure if Phil put that info up or not. Here are the pictures of N.Truncata and Ventricosa.

10054428-c464-01600120-.jpg

Developing pitcher and my watch. :biggrin:

10054429-b67f-01600120-.jpg

You can see how large and blunt and truncatated the leaves can be against my hand.

10054439-a039-01600120-.jpg

Large old pitcher on it.

10054450-2edf-01600120-.jpg

Whole plant.

10054738-652c-01600120-.jpg

I apoligize for the lighting in the next 3 pictures.

10054736-6096-01600120-.jpg

Newest and largest pitcher next to smaller immature pitcher. This larger pitcher is about 5 inches tall and 1 inch wide.

10054729-4c00-01600120-.jpg

Same largest pitcher unfurling peristome.

Nice pics, Nep. Gracilis. Now I got any idea! :biggrin:

It arrived today, N. Truncata!! Yeah!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

(Edited by eplants02 at 11
wow.gif
5 pm on May 17, 2002)

And in a couple years it will be like mine but mine will probably be HUGE by then!!!
smile.gif
Good luck!

N. truncata can grow very large and can get four feet in diameter quite easily. I have some that I grow in 3-10 gallon pots and have had pitchers to 18 inches. The base stalk of the plant can get well over an inch in diameter. If you have the space, they are awesome plants. Give it room as it will need it eventually.

Kim

Back