What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how fast does it grow?

N.Truncata will eventually get huge! Mine is a 2 foot dia. plant with 10 inch pitchers.

10948675-a8be-01600120-.jpg

N.Truncata sporting 10 inch tall/long pitchers.

mc01.jpg

My good friend Michael Catalini with his HUGE N.Truncata sporting 15 inch tall/long pitchers!

My ventrata hybrid grows FAST... Like one leaf every one and a half weeks... Thats FAST...

Ventricosa and Gracilis are also really fast growers...

that is HUGE!!!! how long does it take to get that big? (from the ones in 3" pots)

It will take about 2-4 years to get fairly large. BUT once a Truncata approaches 4-5inches in diameter it gets much larger progressivley with every next leave it puts out.

N. truncata grows relatively quick once it is established to a plant that is 12-18 inches across. It can grow very large. I have had one pitcher on one plant with pitchers to 19 inches in height and the plant is about 4 feet across. I have several large ones. Make sure you put it in a large enough pot before it gets too big. A 3-5 gallon pot is a good size. Initially, N. truncata grows a bit slow when the plant is only 4 inches across, but it will surprise you once it starts growing. Aloha from Hawaii.

Kim

What about Nep. Raf? Mine is growing insanely fast, and the pitchers are relativly large for its size.

---Lane

i think i would go with a rafflesiana...truncata leaves look a little "messy". how often do rafs flower? do i need to cut them like venus fly traps? or is it ok to let them flower?

The reason Truncata leaves amy look "unsightly" to you is becuase they have a pelt of hair on them. Also N.Rafflesiana and with any other Nepentehs can freely flower once mature, I wouldn't woory if you buy a 6 inch dia. palnt though, it won't flower for a while once Rafflesiana and most other Neps reach a good size they usually are near flowering age AKA maturity.

Back