What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N eustachya

I purchased an N. eustachya (red & white) a couple months ago and all was well (it put out 3 new leaves and 3 pitchers but the 4th pitcher (just opening today) has a lid that looks like it's bent sideways and it has a deflated/deformed side the pitcher has not fully opened yet but none of the other pitchers had done this. From bud to opening the pitcher looked perfectly normal but on opening day it looks all weird.
sad.gif

My question is what tank should I be growing this in. I assumed lowland as their altitudal dist is 0-1200masl so I was growing it in my lowland tank (days never less than 80*F sometimes 90* and nights 70*F). Should I transffer it to my highland tank? There is a marked difference in temp as after the summer heatwave (June-August) the highland tank doesn't get higher than 75* during the day and about 50-55*F at night. I do see that Neps has N. eustachya listed in his highland grow chamber and not lowland so I was curious if I should do the same?

The other new pitcher (in development) looks normal so am I just overreacting?

According to Clarke, the altitudinal range for eustachya is 0 to 1600 m.  So, it's likely
that this species is not too picky.  Personally, I do grow this as a highland or intermediate,
and it's a weed.  However, if it is growing well for you, as a rule, then why move it?

In general, if a plant is kept too warm, it will stop pitchering altogether.  Therefore, I wouldn't
worry too much if only one odd pitcher is produced.  Would like to see a photo of what this
deformed thing looks like, though.  I might be able to tell you more if I could see it.

Good luck!

When I came home from the flea market this evening the lid had oriented itself normal but the side is still concave. Unfortunately this is the best photo I can get with my digital camera...
N.eust.def-pitcher.jpg

Josh,

the pitcher does look totally happy to me. The pitcher lid of bigger pitchers often do not open symmetrical at both sides of the pitcher. The concave side may disappear but also may stay - this should be of no concern. Really deformed pitchers normally do result from low humidty during developement, insects eating some of the tissue or from pesticides which often is most harmful for new developing growth.

Joachim

Normal! The caved in side is result of a lot of factors as Joachim mentioned. YOu can try to pop the side back out with a Q-tip by inserting to into the pitcher and gently pushing it on the section inside the pitcher that is caved in and the side should "pop" back out with a little pressure applied to the Q-tip.

Judging by the image you have provided, it appears that overly warm conditions are not
a problem for your plant. It should be fine!

Cool - Thanks guys! I think I will not worry about it and let the pitcher develop fully then try that Qtip trick if it doesn't pop it's own side out. If the next pitcher does it then I will get a bit worried. There doesn't apear to be any mold, fungus or insect damage on the leaves and the tank is almost sealed with a false bottom/moat so humidity is real high.

Thanks again for reassuring me!

Back