What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes alata

1. Any sign/s that it maybe unhealthy?
2. How much water does it like to have?
3. Is there any bugs i shouldn't feed it?
4. Whats the average number of pichers?
5. Is there any thing else you guys could add that i and others REALLY need to know?

thank's for any help
smile.gif

Coma

Hi,

1. ways to see if it is unhealthy is that if the pitchers turn brown and the leaves turn brown also, there are occasional that the pitchers turn brown cus they are old and same with leaves, but if its un healthy it may turn brow rapidly and the newest leaves will turn brown also

2. as far as i am concered. alata likes moist/wet soil, dont keep it very wet for long periods of time, and dont let soil dry out

3. is your alata in a terrarium? because if its outside i wouldnt worry about feeding it, it feeds it self becuase flys are attracted to the nectar inside the pitcher and fall in and thats how they feed, but if its in a terrarium, i use meal worms to feed my pitcher plants (sarracenia, nepenthes, sometimes VFT's)
you can buy it at a pet store, get the small babie ones, usualy they are for pet lizards, some people dont use em becuase it turns there pitchers brown but i havnt seen any problems with mine.

4. there is no average number of pitchers, if its healthy, it will keep old pitchers for a long time, and produve new ones, also, it can have very few pitchers if its not grown right and there are only a few of em and the others have died off

5. i dont think you REALLY need to know any thing else, just that there are highland alatas and lowland alatas, and they like i think 75% humidity or above

i dont own a alata but lots of other users do, wait to see what other people post, i think trashcan has a alata
smile.gif

hope this helps

Hi Stefano nailed most of the points. The most important thing to keep an eye on is the newest growth point and make sure it stays healthy. If you are growing your alata outside, I wouldn't recommend feeding it very often, as they usually catch a ton of bugs.. I'm lucky enough to have perfect growing conditions here.. What kind of N.alata do you have? Does it have a green base with a red flush on the top half?

Patrick

yeh it is kinda green at the bottom ,but its mostly a red/purple

and on one of the leaves under side ive noticed some small dark spots are these bad?

the dark spots can either be 2 things, 1 is nectar glands, or sugar glands, f you touch them and you get sticky stuff on your finger than its a nectar/sugar gland, that attracts the insect to the plant, and theres another thing that i forgot what its called, scale? i am not sure, also my bical has some spots on it but sometimes its jst natural

Hey Stefano, you finally got the bical? Congrats. How much ya pay for it?

Patrick,
I have an N. alata who is green on the bottom with a red flush on top-is this a highland, intermediate or a lowland?

I got two cuttings from my uncles window grown plant at Easter dinner (the mother plant has never made pitchers in the 5+ years he's had it) but now the cuttings I have in my terrarium are making their first pitchers and the first pitchers lid just cracked open a hair today! But it seems to do OK so far in my lowland terrarium.

Hi. I contacted Phil Mann (of Southern Carnivores) asking the same question, and he is under the impression that is an intermediate variety from the Phillipines. I have had good success growing it under lowland, intermediate, and highland (except for running out of room in the terrarium). It does seem to grow the best under intermediate conditions though. Post a pic if you have a camera so we can see if it's the same type.

I forgot to add.. Mine have done very well under relatively low humidity outside.. I have never measured but I assume it varies from around 50-80%, normally more towards the 50.

Pat

hey larry, i got it like 2-3 weeks ago, i got it for 20 dollers

its starting to grow, i got it bare root, and right now the first new leaf is about to open!
smile.gif

hopefully itll grow faster after that, its growin kind of slowish
tounge.gif

alatapitcher.jpg

should work now....

some screw up with verisign on re-registering my URL...

Hmm. I honestly can't tell from that picture.

Pat

Back