What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lizard poo problem

hello ppl

Um... where should I start? Well, I have a problem with lizard poo!!  
confused.gif
Strange, I know, but that is the problem. I have my neps outside (I just moved them into my new pergola), and with all the new space, I've noticed that there is a lot of lizard poo on the plants and on the soil. I really wouldn't count this as a problem, since I just love seeing these creatures running everywhere in there, but the LF sphagnum on some of the pots is starting to turn a green "algae" color. Is this bad? The plants are doing well, but is the lizard poo adding too many nutrients into the soil?  I'm going to change the top dressing eventually, but I just want to know what you ppl think. Thanks in advance.

Joel

Because of the algae growth I am inclined to say that yes it is adding something but I'm not sure what. I do know that lizard poo has ammonia in it in the form of uric acid (the white powdery part.) While the acid itself might be good for the plants I don't know how much ammonia will be liberated by its breakdown.

I'd just suggest that maybe once every month or two you give you plants a major flushing and that'll get out any build up.

Just my 2 cents

Pyro

I'm sorry.....

I have to say tho... I agree with Pyro. Flush the lizard poo.

If I laugh I'll hurt my lungs................. DON'T YOU DARE MAKE ME!!!

Am I the only one finding this at all humerous?

Um..what kind of lizard is it? Gecko, anole, etc?

The problem is mostly with anoles, since they're the ones that are always jumping around the plants. The other day I saw one big lizard turd on a N x cantleyi leaf, which was very annoying.
mad.gif
But the problem itself is really with just 2 or 3 pots (mostly N ampullaria) so it really isn't that big of a deal. I think that I'll live with the problem since I just love seeing lizards running and jumping everywhere.
smile.gif

Joel

Why don't you get a lowii for them to potty in?

I don't think the lizard poo will hurt the plants. Just wash it off the leaves. Are they eating the insects that your plants attract?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm.......sounds like it won't do anything super bad. I would flush the pots a little bit though. And as long as we're on the topic, why not screen in your growing area? It would keep the anoles out and not do them any harm,unless of course you want to see them around your plants still.

Screens (and windows and doors) don't seem to stop anoles. In FL, at my wife's grandparents place, we find them in that house all the freakin' time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE lizards, but finding out you are sharing your bed with 3 of the little buggers is pushing it.
smile.gif

wow.gif
That doesn't make me wanna move south for a while.
biggrin.gif
j/k. Well, buy a large Truncata or Rajah and let the little guys fall in!
biggrin.gif
I am not sure what you can do except just flush the pots.

That's what I was going to suggdest. Just feed your plants a lizard once a month if they're large enough
smile.gif

Hey guys

I know that you're just saying the "feed the lizards to you plants" as a joke, but I think that would really be a cruel thing to do.
sad.gif
Lizards are fun creatures to watch, and have their own personalities; purposely killing one just to feed it to one of my neps would be inhumane.

Joel

I knew someone would say that. Just didn't know who....... don't want to get into another animal cruelty discussion, know what I mean
confused.gif
? Just saying it could be beneficial to the plant, if the lizards aren't already being caught as it is.

The only thing I dont like about lizards is from a while ago...

When I went to florida when I was eleven I was Mr.Herpitologist... I seriously could name any reptile you showed me... So, when we got to southern Georgia, we stopped at a motel for the night. The lizards were scampering everywhere!!! I think they were anoles, am I correct? I call them the squirrels of the south...

So I sorta got that "Crikey, looka this beauty!!! OOOOh, shes a nice one, if she were this much longer, this much, shoud would bit me riiiight HERE... one bite mater, just Ooooonne bite, and I'de be dead" attitude, of course Ididnt know about steve irwin at the time so its not like i said any of that...

Anyhow...... hehehe..... i tried to grab the lizard by the tail, and i was left with a pinch full of writhing tail... I found that to be the most disgusting thing i've ever seen or touched in my life. Blech...

From the on i just watched from a distance, tho it would be fun to do that whold shpeel about a garter snake i find around here..... Hehehe...

I have a gecko, and lotsa anoles outside
biggrin.gif
Shouldn't hurt the plants, if the plants don't hurt the anoles. Anoles and pitchers interact in nature, too.
tounge.gif

I think you should flush the pots, too. Even though I'm no6t an expeert on Neps, I think some lizard poo might be kinda benificial. But as I said, I don't know much about neps, so... um.... ya...

Kevin

Back