What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning a tank into a giant "Mr. Cool"

While I was up at Home depot I saw something that I thought could help keep a terrariums temperature more stable, large sheets of 1/4" - 4" thick poly foam insulation (basically large sheets of styrofoam) It wouldn't be beautiful of course but would it work to attach the 1/2" thick poly foam to the sides and back and make like a big strofoam "Mr. Cool" cooler?
Would this help keep the pumped in cool air in the enclosure longer? I know, many things sound good in theory so I'm wondering if any of you have tried this wacky idea?

Also, I saw a min-refrigerator fo $59 which cools or heats (from 40* - 140*F) might this be a cooling motor to be frankensteined to a highland Nepenthes enclosure? or would it be fruitless to try with such a tiny thing (It can be run on a 12V DC in a car ciggerette lighter or plugged into a real outlet)?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated!
smile.gif

I am attempting to find a cheap mini fridge myself and try to detatch the door then replace with a sheet of plexiglass and hinge it with a handel like a clear door. Then at night place my Highland and Ultrahighland Neps in there, set the temp sprat 1 time with water and I will be all set. Gotta find a cheap one though, looking for like a $40.00 one. Yes, the styrafoam would keep in a lot of the cooled air all night.

Do you have a "thrifties" section in your local newspaper? Very often people sell their used deep freeze coolers at cheap prices. But I'd think even the largest deep freeze wouldn't last a growing highland nepenthes collection for long (not mine anyway)!
biggrin.gif

That's why I was thinking of using the motor and cooling coils from it and attach it somehow to a highland enclosures back & sides, then (in my theory) you could use the same motor on most any size enclsoure as you aren't needing it to actually freeze stuff solid, just cool. But I wouldn't know where to begin on doing this procedure...!

I know Ron uses one of those little 40qt coleman coolers/warmers. They work with a peltier device. He replaced the flip up lid with a piece of plexiglass. Wired in a remote bulb thermostat on a timer to switch on at night. And simply placed the thing under a couple shoplights.

It is fairly small but fairly economical. The system would have a hard time cooling a larger area or one with less insulation.

A cooling system from a fridge/freezer would work but it would be a challenge to get the evaporator into the terrarium.
Easier to use the unit as is and replace the door as Jeff has done. To cool a large uninsulated area I think the best method would be with air conditioning.
T

I guess I'll stick with what I've got then, but I think I'll still get a sheet of that 4ft x 8ft insulation and see if that holds the cold better (so I can run the AC less-esp. in winter&#33
wink.gif

Back