What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know highlanders need cool nights but how warm must their day times be? Is 70*F / 20*C ok or must the days get as high as 80 / 25*C? Since summer is over I can dispense with the A/C at night and just suck air from outside with a round duct fan in the window and cool the tank appropriately overnight but the daytime temps now don't get over 75*F / 23*C usually they hover around 70*F / 20*C. Will this be appropriate or will I need to get a heating mat for winter?

Thanks for your thoughts!

BTW for clarification here's the inhabitants:
N. fusca
N. hamata
N. inermis
N x Judith Finn
N. lowii
N. maxima x bongso
N. rajah
N. ventricosa

soon:
N. aristolochides
N. macrophylla
N. mikei

A heating mat for highlands?! O no!
wow.gif
You don't need one of those. As long as you don't go above 85 for typical highlands they'll be fine. Don't go above 80F for Ultrahighlands IMO. But for higher altitudal Neps IE: Villosa,Muluensis. Don't exceed 75F, or from what I have heard at least. Also yeah the fan from outside air sounds superb! Just be sure the outside air isn't below 40F for ALL of your highlands, ultra included, excpet Villosa and the other higher variety's mentioned above, as they can go down to 35 if I am correct at night in thier natural ranges.
confused.gif

I agree with Nep G, they will do fine. All mine had day temperatures getting up to 65-70 f during last winter, and most grew about the same as over the summer (N stenophylla grew much faster).

Groovy! I was just checking cos this will be my first winter with highlands. I know lowlanders require 70-90 year round but I wasn't positive on the highlanders. As far as the outside air cooling I have a thermostat set so when it gets down to the 50*F min. it shuts off the fan. I figure 50 is a good middle of the road night temp for most highlands so I'm trying to keep that year round. Makes the bedroom awful chilly though!
wink.gif

Back