What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes gracilis

I am thinking about getting a nepenthes gracilis from petflytrap.But first I want to know how large the pitchers get. and what temps are required.thanks

The pitchers of N. gracilis only get to about 4" but mine aren't that big yet only 1" but the plant is already climbing.
It likes a warm lowland tank 70-90*F with plenty of humidity. More light the better to give the pitchers some color or else they'll just be green. When I replaced my old flourescent light tubes the pitchers became more interesting with red spots and new pitchers are larger than before. Like N ampullaria if you cut down the climbing stem you will force it to create a carpet of leaves and pitchers from the soil all around the original basal rosette/plant.

In good conditions it's a fast grower. Mine went from rosette to climbing stem in a matter of 3 months being kept in a 29 gallon fishtank with only 80 watts of flourescent lights 4 20 watt tubes). I have a feeling that if I would place it in my brighter light lowland tank it would grow even faster.

Hope that helps some!

me? I am about 6 ft 3 why?
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 09 2002,1:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">me? I am about 6 ft 3 why?  
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
thats a good size,NG I guess you'll be scrunched up in my little 14 oz. terrairium!j/k .I'll own you someday, don't forget that!lol
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

my N.Glacilis main stem was cut and now has 30+ off shots. i keep it in the back yard under a piece of blue shade cloth. when i first got it it was so naglected all the leaves where wilting and alot of dead under growth. with watering it with rain water and cleaning all the dead growth out of it. it jumped back to life with no problem but it will be repoted sometime soon and seperated to start newer plants

It is a lowland plant and I believe the ,axium pitcher hight is 6 inches. The largest pitchers I have ever had wa 3 inches on a 5 foot vine.

Ok now I'll add.

Gracilis is a very durable plant. Don't woory about over or underwatering it. I have let mine go bone dry for 5 days then I water it and it jumped out of the grave.
smile.gif

It will be viney yet compact and graceful. Very pretty pitchers. Max pitcher size is supposedly 4 inches tall. Althought there are raity liek Virus mentioned, 6 inches and larger some cases, like pitcher that formed in the shade.

Very easy to propagate, cuttings will root in almost any media as long as humidity is high and the media airy for roots to penetrate to grow.

bone dry heck that wasn't the word for it when i bought it. the soil was so dry that it was dust and talking about jumping out of the grave wow. yes it is a durable plant i was total surprized how fast it did come back from the grave

the pitchers arnt really big

they vine like crazy, mine is like 1 1/2 foot tall to 2 ft and tge pitcher are like an inch maybe a little bigger

Back