What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great little pick up

I got three neps this past weekend in PA. Two of them look to have been through dormancy with some dead growth. I don't know as much as I would like about neps (I know one is an alcata I think, I am at work so I cannot check) , can I just clip them back? I also want to know if a pitcher is dry, can I cut it as well, or leave it go. I have one from lowes that I suppose should be put in a hanging plant (I won't transplant it until it goes dormant because it is in very loose soil and I killed a cobra lilly by trying to do this) basket and acclimate it to outside. I don't know what type that one is either because of the fact that the label fell off of it. Any help would be appreciated...

Hi there. Neps don't go dormant. The neps you bought most likely look a little worse for ware because of shoddy treatment where you bought them (Lowes, home depot, etc are famous for abusing their plant stock. Also they're in shock). As far as cutting them back, you can trim off brown leaves, and all-brown pitchers. I usually leave a pitcher on until it's all brown because any green parts are still capable of absorbing nutrients.
There is no "alcata" (that I know of anyway)....do you mean N. alata or N. adnata?

As for IDing your other nep, I would browse around the ID forum. Lowes mostly sells only certain kinds, so you will most likely run across a picture of what you have in that forum. Good luck!
biggrin.gif

I have one n. ventricosa, one n. sanguinea, and two n. alatas. My one alata has four inch pitchers. I got him from a commercial nursery in pa. The other two are nice looking plants as well. I wonder if it makes a difference to have the pitchers outside of the pot hanging?? Two of mine are not.

Back