What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant

I'm new to this plant so, do you guys have any tricks or tips for it? For now i'm giving it lots of humidity along with the bicalcarata 'yellow' and tha maxima.
Mirabilis_echin.jpg

As long as this plant is in lowlander conditions it should do fine. Plant from the N. mirabilis complex seem to be very sensitive to humidity fluncuations so watch this one carefully.

It's easy. I've been growing this variety for about eight years now, and have never had any problems, other than what to do with it when it gets big. Presently, I have a specimen that's about six and a half feet tall, and hitting the roof of my greenhouse!

Wow neps!
wow.gif
Six feet tall! I'd love to see that! Can you post several pics?
biggrin.gif

I have mine in a blazing hot lowland tank and it's growing just fine. The leaves are awful thin at the size you have (mine is the same size) I do not know if they thicken later in life or not but a dramatic drop in humidity will be unappreciated. It would likely burn the leaves if it happens during daylight hours.

Neps, is the 6 foot mirabilis var. echino. making upper pitchers? How old was your plant before the pitchers started to color up? Mine is under very intense light (with other plants who are turning very dark colors) but this guy is still pretty plain greenish white color as in the above photo.
sad.gif

I have an N mirabilis plant (not var echinostoma) and from what I've noticed, it doesn't seem to be affected much by the humidity fluctuations in my pergola. I haven't really noticed any changes in leaf thinkness, but this particular plant produces lots of roots. I have also observed the same thing with a [N mirabilis var echinostoma] x [N ampullaria] plant that I have. Both of these plants are growing well.

Jœl

My plant has been producing upper pitchers for a long time.
However, it is an all-green variety, there is no additional coloration.

I'll see if I can get some pics of it up in the near future.

Wow great! I'll wait patiently then jejeje
tounge.gif

Back