What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinea

Sometime back there was a thread where someone was asking about variation in coloration in N. sanguinea.  I can't find the thread now, but have found a tray of young N. sanguinea plants that illustrate the point that coloration varies a lot from green through orange to purple.  These plants were grown from seeds and are in their original tray.

sanguinea_15cm_seed_grown.jpg

Thanks for the pic, Rob!

oooo! ahhhh! Very nice Neps as always Rob! Hope my sanguinea makes it back from my unfortunae freeze in the gh.

Beautiful!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for the picture Rob.

A question though... Do you select the prettiest or fastest growing plants from each batch of seeds to sell or do you send the whole batch to your customers indifferently?

It must be awesome to be up to your akles in these plants!
wink.gif

hehe

Hi Mindmaze,

Pleased you enjoyed the photo
smile.gif
I don't send out the green ones but just give those away locally top schools and that sort of thing.

very, very nice plant you have! and pic is great too!

ps: nice pot!
wink.gif

Hey Rob,

thats for the pic of the plants still in the tray.

yes, there is a big diff. in coloration threw out the tray. each pitcher looks diff. in color. the green and the orange looked the happest from what i have seen.

How about a pic of the other side
smile.gif

Rob,

I don't remember asking on this forum, but the variety of color(and lack of) in N. sanguinea is a common question of mine. It took me a while to find a red one, and I assumed for a while that everyone I saw on a pricelist without a color was green or green speckled. The quest for the large red form was ,in part, my doom with the USDA. For some reason, I find the pitcher shape to very pleasing with this species, even though it does not have teeth, fangs, claws or any other cool apendages.

Regards,

Joe

I managed to find a large, very dark form of sanguinea, but to my dismay, it only forms upper pitchers
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Joe,

I know what you mean about the pitcher form of N. sanguinea. There's something very elegant about it; rather like the var. elongata form of N. rafflesiana vs. the standard squat form.

The clone of N. sangunea that was circulting in the US for a number of years was known as S-5 and was produced in large numbers I believe by Agristarts in Florida but there are colored forms now arriving in the US including some large plants. Please contact me off-list if you want to know more.

Back