What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

400 watts is looking pretty good

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I fired up one side of the 400W PFO metal halide ballast with a 400W 6500K Iwasaki bulb and the difference is at least twice the brightness and only half as blue. But I'm curious if there is any harm that can come from running only half of the lighting setup? There are two independent 400W ballasts in one housing each with remote cords (to the sockets) and their own power cords so it shouldn't have any effect but then I don't know...

If I should be using it I could add the other over this chamber to really have some light but I suppose should subject them to this light gradually? the lamp is about 3 feet above the plants but I may adjust it so that it's only 2 feet.

any thoughts?

You don't need to run both sides, some people will run one side in the morning, both in the afternoon and the other side in late afternoon. This kind of simulates the sun. But if your plants are getting enough lite I would burn the money.

good luck
joe

Ok, in that case... the next $25 000 question is, how safe would it be to run the other ballasts remote cord along the walls about 25 feet to the highland tank and give these plants some killer light too?

Safe, just use a good cord.

joe

Back