What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garden sprayer

I bought a small 1 gallon "Grab & Go" pump-up garden sprayer with misting wand for like $7. It's great! It has a pressure pump (with makes an excellent "rain mist for leaves and watering peaty soils) and a wand which can be set for cotinuous spraying without holding the button down if so desired. I'll probably water my plants much more this summer not having to pull them out and water them with the watering can & rose!

Anyone growing in terrariums with false bottoms should have one of these they're great! It only took me 3 years to think to buy one...
wink.gif

josh it does make it alot easyer to water the plants in the tank using the sprayer and misting them. i even use it to water the sarr seedlings with it.actually i'm on my second one after a while the pump will ware out and won't build up air. my dog runs now ever time he sees me with it cause i was spraying him with it ever time i walked by him. (lol)

I originally bought it to water the plants on my patio but I thought why not try it indoors? I just want to improve it by buying a longer piece of hose cos 24" is simply rediculous. My arm can't extend all the way straight out. I hope I don't need anything except proper diameter hose, nothing exotic that I can't get at home depot in 5 minutes. Have you ever tried adding a longer hose to either of yours?
How long did your first one last? I think all my plant misters are gonna get tossed and I'm gonna get another one of these for fertilizing and use this one just for plain R/O cos those little windex type misters seem to get clogged easily and wind up not spraying properly pretty fast.

I am using a 1.5 gallon sprayer to water my plants. Knocks the watering time down by at least 1/2. If you don't have a sprayer yet, its a good idea to get one to help cut watering time down. Of course this depends on how many plants you have. If you only have a few, it might not be worth it. But when you have to water 40 or more pots, it makes the job so much easier.

Mine is a Hudson Leader Plus 1.5 gallon with a brass wand. Cost was around $17. Plump parts can be replaced on this model.

Good point. The 7 dollar varieties don't last that long. They're kinda "disposable".

What I use mine for is feeding. Once a week, all my CPs with fish emmultion. It stinks though, and indoor people should use a chemical fertilizer if they use any.

josh,

there was no need for me to replace the hoses on eather of them. they are long enought for what i need them for.
the first one lasted less than a year. i tried to fix the pump but, the only part i could get to was the plastic part at the bottom that let the air out. the rest is sealed.
i just looked at the one i have to see what it would take to replace the hose and all it looks like is needed is a longer hose piece 1/4" OD. might want to take the hose in with you to match it up to get a longer one.
i still water with the rose watering can to fill some of the trays up and the larger plants that are in bigger pots.

Another great method that I went with is tapping into the output line on a RO system and using 20' of 1/4 hose with an on/off nozle on the end. It's like a 20 foot garden hose for CPs for under 10 bucks.

joe

I noticed today at the Home Depot you can get an Ortho sprayer with a 5 year warranty for 17 dollars.

You must have a high flow R/O unit Joe, that must be nice!
Mine would take a long time to water each plant direct from the R/O machine, it hakes roughly 2 1/2 hours for a 5 gallon pail of R/O from my machine.
Also, the water from my R/O machine is very cold (about 50*F) is it OK to use water this temp on plants? I always assumed it could send them into shock so I always let the water get to 70*F before I use it on the plants.

actually mine is very slow but has a 3 gallon pressurized tank that it fills up(came with it). My tank sits on the concrete basement floor and the water is quite cool, but none of the plants have ever complained, including the dozens of lowland plants.

joe

I deffinately wouldn't use water that cold for nepenthes. He he, I'm sure the darlingtonia would apreciate it though
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I noticed today at the Home Depot you can get an Ortho sprayer with a 5 year warranty for 17 dollars.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

As my sprayers seem to last about 1.5 yrs before breaking.

I'm planning on getting a brand new r/o system , mines can barley make a gallon
tounge.gif

I like my recoiling hose from ACF greenhouse supply, my felco2s', and I think the best handsprayer on the market is the Spraymaster, by Consolidated Plastics, Inc.
its a chemically resistant, high volume output, adjustable spray pattern handsprayer with a 5 year warrenty.

Goldtrap have you replaced your carbon filter or R/O membrane? This will be way cheaper than splurging on a whole new system.
Have you ever used a "Flush kit"? Mine came with a flush kit which is supposed to remove the deposits on the R/O membrane. Of course, if yours is clogged you'll need a whole new membrane. But when you replace the two filters just add a small "ball valve" to the output of your R/O (that's all a flush kit is) so you can stop any "good" water from being produced for a couple gallons every month or two and this will blast the deposits off the membrane and lengthen membrane life. Or so the documentation says...

wouldn't you have to force clean water back through the RO filter to clean it in that way? It doesn't sound like a bad Idea for those with pressurized tanks though. just remove the input line to the membrane and the tank should for filtered water backwards through the membrane.

Still can't figure out how yours works though?

joe

The flush kit is a little more complex than a simple ball valve.
Let me see if I can find Kents description, here we go.
http://www.kentmarine.com/fk.html
The flush kit is mounted inline on your waste hose.
I just used mine lastnight.
biggrin.gif

Back