What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics!

FINALY!!!!!!!!!!!! I discovered something amazing! My big coccinea was producing and upper pitcher this hole time and I never saw it before! It was hidden behind lots of leaves and I never saw it
wow.gif
But its huge!
biggrin.gif

coccinea_pot6.jpg

Upper%20pitcher.jpg

And here's a little bonus for everyone: my ventrata and coccinea are having basal shoots and the ventrata is getting ready for some cuttings for trading! But there are only two basal shoots
sad.gif
Here's a little pic of the ventrata's newest babies.
pitchers43.jpg

Great pics! That shot of the immature pitcher in the middle looks more like an intermediate pitcher, because the tendril is connected to the side....

Those look really nice...I like how they've all but lost their wings.
biggrin.gif

How long are the climbing stems? Mine are still producing lowers and I'm wondering how much longer I'll have to wait!

SF

Hey Snowy Falcon:
The stems are usually 5 or 6 inch. long, but the new one on the pic is over 8 inch. Besides the pitcher in the pic is 7 or 8 inch. too! It just keeps getting bigger and bigger!
biggrin.gif

Ooook!  I have a large Coccenia but what is the difference between a top pitcher and a lower.  I'm sure it is not its' strike out average.
confused.gif

confused.gif

I looked at your photos very carefully and for the life of me cannot determine the difference.
Also, your's seems to have much deeper green leaves than mine and the pitchers are much more red.  How much direct sun are you giving them?  Are you spiking the water with Ron Rico?  
biggrin.gif

How are things in Puerto Rico?

This clone of N. coccinea does not readily make upper pitchers. If you want uppers, try staking the vine upright so it grows tall, like a tomato plant. If you let the vine trail over the edge of the pot you'll get ground shoots and lowers. The uppers are more elongated and lack true wings.

Trent

Trent are you saying my coccinea is a clone?!
wow.gif
Oh my god! I've been raising a FREAK!
alien.gif
lol How can you tell?
Lauderdale, the difference between an upper from a lower pitcher is very very simple: the lower pitchers tend to be, well, rounder and fat and may posses wings and the tendril is facing the front side of the pitcher; meanwhile, the upper pitchers are totally the opposite which means that it's longer and thinner and does not posses wings and the tendril is behind the pitcher. And if I'm wrong, well, I'm a monkey's uncle
wink.gif

Yes. It is a clone, and is produced by the thousands just like Boba Fett-Storm Troopers are identical clones in S.W.; "Attack of the Clones"
biggrin.gif

Actually, a clone is any one individual plant. A cultivar is any one individual plant that has a registered name. Example: if you take cuttings of your favorite Nepenthes plant, and all the cuttings grow into full plants, they are all the same clone,ie. they are genetically identical. With tissue culture techniques, identical individuals can be produced in large numbers, much more efficiently than taking cuttings-thus they are clones!
There are other plants of N. coccinea out there not identical to your plant, therefore they are not the same clone. I am referring to the old original Victorian hybrid N. Coccinea, of which there are a number of individuals both male and female, and yes, they do look slightly different.

Whew! I hope this is helpful.
Trent

Wow Trent your smart!
biggrin.gif
Yeah I guess that'll do jejeje Well I'll be posting pics very soon, the lid finally oppened and its about to expose its magesty!
tounge.gif

Back