What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking my Nepenthes on a Picnic

Well, the snow finally quit falling here in Minnesota, now it's about 80*-90* during the day and humidity to match (about 80%-90%). my question is could I put the neps outside (in a shady location) on days like today to enjoy some real sunlight and catch some food without shocking the heck out of them? They are all exclusively terrarium grown and are only removed (to a wet showerstall) during tank cleanings and weekly/biweekly pot flushings.
I would check the weather before bringing them out on days like this and not leave them out overnight. Before I tried it I thought I'd see what you all think cos now that everything is going well with them I don't wanna foul it up!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your thoughts!

well first all what cind of Neps is it but I think it would help the plant if you took it out side ever once in wile

I have mostly smallish Neps that grow at a constant 80% in my terrariums. I have tried adjusting some plants to grow outside, and the results have been pretty poor. They just don't like changing their growing conditions. Can you take the plants with you? Yes. Will it help them grow? Not neccessarily. They might go into shock. .. Just my .02c.
smile.gif

PS: If it is a thin-leaved Nep, like mirabilis or ampullaria, I would not take it out at all.

Pat

OK, it was just a thought to put the neps out on my covered patio to recieve indirect sunlight and natural humidity and a chance to get some bugs but maybe it's not an ideal idea cos they would only be going outside on very hot/sticky days like today when I have the day off. but if it might bother them I'll forget about it.

The types I would bring out would be a Truncata, Judith Finns, ventricosa, Alata and x"Coccinea" (I think this has mirabilis in it's parentage somewhere-and the leaves are exceptionly thin and burn very easily&#33
wink.gif

Thanks folks! Glad I asked first!

Where do you live? What kind of temps? You may be able to grow some of those plants outside.

I grow a bunch of large alatas and ventratas outside, and they love it. I have tried growing some smaller ventrricosas outside, but they grow much slower... Maybe they will do better when they get larger.. As for truncata, I think it would do well too, with its think leaves.

Pat

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (trashcan @ June 10 2002,09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for truncata, I think it would do well too, with its think leaves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Huh Pat - what's the IQ of your truncata?

Joachim :)

You are very nosy! First you question my Nepenthes' gender, and now their IQ? I'll have you know that my Nepenthes are very introverted and shy. So... I'll never tell!

;-)

Pat

biggrin.gif
Funny. swords, I would go ahead and TRY to carefully adjust the Truncata and Ventricosa to house humdity as the house is usually the same as outside ( or near it at least). Personally, I would put the Truncata in full to part shade and the ventricosa in a little more sun if possible, if not or you fear leadf burn put it with the Truncata. Don't bring Alata, Coccinea or JF out, they wouldn't do to hot IMO, as they all require somewhat more milder conditions. Ventriocosa is pretty much nuke proof so it should do fine. Truncata due to it's T H I C K
tounge.gif
leaves would/will do eceptionally well with occasional misting like every 30 mins or every hour or so. And I beat you all out with Nep. IQ! My Rajah would beat all your Neps. in math!
biggrin.gif
j/k.
smile.gif

Ah well Pat I asked purely for scientific purpose. I had the impression at least some of my plants are more on the dumb side:

Ut_reniformis.jpg

Joachim

P.S.: I would try it in steps putting a Nepenthes outside. If they may be able to stand the conditions on a windowsill you may go one step further. But I would be very careful watching if they wilt. You'll see it first on the pitcher lids.

Well, I'm gonna put out my 2 cents here, since I disagree with a few things that I've read so far.

swords

I think that you can put almost all of your neps outside if you acclimatize them appropriatly. I have most of my neps outside(PR is almost at the same lattitude as hawaii), and they are doing fine, even with humidity swings from 50 to 100%. I have thin-leaved neps there (ampullaria, mirabilis, coccinea), and, believe it or not, they are my fastest growers. The temps here are in the high 80s right now, which isn't very different from what you wrote. I think that you should go for it, but do it a little at a time. I might try to put my highland plants outside (err.. at least the cheap ones
wink.gif
) once they get bigger.

And Joachim, Why is that leaf of the utric coming out of the bottom of the pot???
wow.gif

wink.gif

Joel

I agree that you can grow nearly any Nepenthes outside (with conditioning). However..., I personally don't think it is healthy to continuously switch growing conditions (in a terrarium on cold days, outside on hot days etc). I also think that terrariums can provide more consistent environments (which can be adjusted), and that a terrarium grown plant will grow faster than if you just throw a plant outside to deal with whatever conditions are available. Just my personal opinions, of course it's different for every person, regarding particular Nepenthes species, outdoor conditions, etc.

Pat

Here's my N. coccinea outdoors in Florida:
N_coccinea3_web.jpg

N_coccinea4_web.jpg

The dried up pitcher is pretty old. Lot's of new ones forming.
biggrin.gif

Back