What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthe Rajah

Vote Tuyen Thi  off of our "island"?!!? - By request of a moderator (or two..

• Yes... kick him off and never let him back on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspend him yet again

• No, leave him be, he's harmless

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NepG said the growing conditions above,

thats what he keeps them in and im positive thats what tuyens dealer had them in, for such pig pitchers

so tuyen, are you able to give it the right conditions?

I would like a picture if possible Tuyen.

well he said his camera dosnt work
sad.gif

Tuyen is in Southern California. It's dry and hot there, N. Rajah would die FAST. I don't see how it could be around long enough to even catch a squirrel.

And first off squirrels are not attracted to red round tubs of water. They are attracted to NUTS and SEEDS and dried FRUIT. Stefano, I meant i would like to see a picture sometime SOON if possible.

I let my neighbor borrow it at night , because that is the time that the squirrel came out . The way I caught the squirrel was by baiting the under part of the lid with peanut butter mixed with pumpkin juice . the squirrel wasn't able to get out because my neighbor put a trigger connected to the lid to the peristome , and whatever moved inside the the pitcher ,the trigger would make the lid snap shut on the peristome . the pitcher is very huge compared to a football . I grow my nepenthes rajah in a miniature greenhouse that has a humidifier , light , and temp controller . I've had it for 2 years , it was medium size when I brought , and it only cost me 15 dollars since the manager says I'm a good customer . The plant was growing slow at first but then the manager gave me a liquid that he made himself , it grew very fast after the second dose . the only thing that has medium pitchers right now is the cutting I gave to my brother. I do know how to take care of a nepenthes rajah , its just my rude brother who does'nt know how . a sample of the liquid that made my nepenthe rajah have humugous pitchers, I think I could ask the manager to brew some up , but he does have a great price for this liquid ,It cost 70 dollars for every quart. but I think it is worth it since it made my nepenthes rajah grow faster and bigger .

(Edited by tuyen thi at 12:48 am on May 27, 2002)

Hmm....intersting. Now that you have said that maby there is eomthing for all of us N.Rajah growers out there. Exactly what is the main ingrediant if I may ask. Also hoe exactly big are the pitcher and the entire palnt? Also how large of a pot is it in and what soil. Thanks.

Unfortunitally , The manager always keeps his secrets , and never tells anybody , he has'nt even told me what type of ingrediants he uses , he just tells me that that is confidentual . I only have 2 huge pitchers , and the rest are either smaal or big . The size of the pot is 5 inches and the soils I use are canadian sphagnum peat moss from the sunshine company , perlite from the uni-gro company , and orchid bark from the unigro company , pumice from the uni-gro company , and vermiculite from the uni-gro company .

uhm, i have a question,

if the pitchers are big enough to cath a squirrel, why is it in a 5" pot? shouldnt it be in like a 15" pot?

and also, if you know how to take care of it, why ask on how to take care of it? and i think persoanlly its kind of cruel to lure a squrrel into the pitcher and then close the lid on it, as far as i am concerned, the lids of N rajah are out and opened, as you can see, below

nep-raj1.jpg

nep-raj2.jpg

what a poor squirrel
sad.gif

Statik2426 feels bad about the squirrel
sad.gif
and doubts that squirrels are native to Mt. Kinabalu, Borneo. I think catching squirrels to feed to plants in the grossest and most awful thing I have ever heard.
sad.gif

Have fun having your pitcher rot... thats even worse than feeding VFT humburger meat.

(Edited by Statik2426 at 9:55 pm on May 26, 2002)

like i said in my other post , the pitcher did not rot , it coughed up fur balls and started new growth to every leaf .i keep it in a 5 inch pot because i heard that plants that are root bound are more likely to produce small leaves with big traps .I am not asking how to take care of one , my brother wants to know how , so he wants to know care information from the people of the forums . And about the squirrel dieing , it is the circle of life ,I feel sorry for the squirrel too ,but people kill animals on purpose to cook them and eat them , venus flytraps eat flys in the wild , lions eat deer to keep themselves alive , and if everything in the world was a vegetarian , than there would never be carnivorous plants , and if Exotic gardens would'nt have any other plants other then carnivorous plants , then they would have tomatoes and onions , and then this forum would never exist . So , like i said , it is the circle of life , what comes around , goes around .

well purposly luring a squirrel into a plant for it to eat is wrong, and then closing the top on it

I hope this story is just a "fabrication" for entertainment.

Well I sure am entertained
smile.gif

and I appologize for calling you a female tuyen thi I didnt think you were but when I seen everybody referring to you as a female then I just figured I was wrong

I really don't see anything wrong with it. We humans would trap squirrels too if we needed to. It's the same as the farmers who raise helpless cows, slaughter them, sell the meat to stores, and we buy the meat to feed ourselves, or even our pets. One organism( a squirrel) is obtained for the greater good of another organism( a nepenthes). It's no different! So, if you really have a problem with killing animals, then think about that the next time you eat a burger, or even feed a cricket to your plants. And, let's stop being rood to eachother.

Tuyen Thi says:
"but people kill animals on purpose to cook them and eat them , venus flytraps eat flys in the wild , lions eat deer to keep themselves alive"

Those are all examples of what things do to live. It's not like you killed it because you had to do it to survive!

Was your plant going to die if you didn't feed it? NO!
Were you going to die if you didn't feed the plant? NO!

Nepenthes are not built to catch squirrels. Like what other people said, squirrels are attracted to NUTS, SEEDS, etc. Nepenthes do not have anything that would naturally lure them, nor do they produce "peanut butter mixed with pumpkin juice".

Hopefully this is just a late april fools joke or part of your imagination.

(Edited by Statik2426 at 12
wow.gif
5 am on May 27, 2002)

I did'nt say that my nepenthes rajah produced peanut butter mixed with pumpkin juice under their leves , I said that i put it there to lure the squirrel .

####, they eat rats. They're mammals too! Infact, they're both rodents! The way you're acting, I know your not a fan of hunting. I know you don't wear leather, or eat juicy hamburgers, when you could just eat some fruit and vegetables! And I most certainly know you do not feed members of the animal kingdom to your plants! I would suggdest you go by your beliefs, and not feed your plants ever again!

The point I was making by commenting that nepenthes don't produce peanut butter was that nepenthes do not attract squirrels. All I was basically saying was that killing the squirrel is not required for the plant to live, NEPENTHES DON'T NEED RODENTS TO SURVIVE. Your acting like I think animals shouldn't be killed at all. The only thing I mentioned as wrong is the squirrel and nathaniel is putting words in my mouth and over-exagerating
sad.gif

Just because I think killing a squirrel for no reason is wrong, it doesn't mean I don't like meat.

If I used your arument strategy (over-exaggeration and assumption) against you, I could easily accuse you of enjoying watching animals die.
But just because you don't find anything wrong with killing a squirrel, it doesn't mean you enjoy watching animals suffer and die.

I already said multiple times that plants do not need rodent meat to survive. But nathaniel keeps insisting his point that there was nothing wrong with feeding it the squirrel. The only examples given by you are ones that help humans survive. (humburger = food, leather = clothing... all for survival and have nothing wrong about them) But the squirrel stuff never got any feedback as to why it was 'required'.

Also you seem to have something against vegitarians. There are millions of them on this planet and they do not feel as if they are missing out on anything, they chose not to eat meat. You act as if they are missing out, but if they felt that way, they wouldn't stay vegetarians... would they!? (I thought i'd try your assumption thing
smile.gif
)

Could this please stop? I hate topics that turn into debates. I'm just here to talk about plants. Not to get headaches and frustration.

Joe

(Edited by Statik2426 at 2
wow.gif
8 am on May 27, 2002)

I don't feed my nepenthes with rodents , I just give them superthrive , the only one i fed a squirrel to was my nepenthes rajah .I think this topic already turned into a debate , I should have naver brought the information up about my nepenthes rajah eating a squirrel . Lets just put this behind and keep on our regular lives as carnivorous plant growers . this is also giving me headaches and frustration .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back