What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The burk

G

Does N. burkeis pitchers get larger than ventricosa's? I read they can get between 6 and 7 inches tall. And can it be grown on a windowsill as easily as ventricosa?

Oh, and uh, does anyone know how large a N. maxima x bongso can get, or just a bongso? Thanks friends
smile.gif
!

N.Burkeii is very similar to Ventricosa and will make pitchers within Ventricosa's size range. Your hybrid there will get quite large! N.Maxima and Bongso are both very large Nep's sporting large pitchers, so it will be no lazy Nep. when it gets going!

Cool! I plan on ordering a N. sanguinea and bongso x maxima. They are supposed to be really large cuttings( the sanguinea plant is supposed to be about 13 in. tall) which is the only reason I'm buying them for $128( including the expensive shipping charges. Could a bongso x maxima be grown on a windowsill? And if you want to know where I'm getting my plants, just message me.

The hybrid COULD do OK on a windowsill as of it's Maxima parentage. The Bongso half should not really interfere with pitcher productivity. And boy that's $$$ for a sanguinea and a hybrid! Wheew!
wow.gif

They'd better be some huge plants! The most i've ever spent on a single plant was N. X Ventrata for $25 18" tall with 6-7" pitchers. I guess you could call me cheap. But for now I'm only into getting cheap plants. People who don't know much about CP (pretty much most of the world) can't tell the difference between common ones and rare expensive plants. Its more impressive for non-cp growers to see some cheap, big, common one like N. ventricosa than it would be to see something like a 3" diameter $50 N. Rajah.
tounge.gif

I just noticed that they also carry northiana and raja. Don't think I'd buy one though.

nathaniel

I think that you should compare prices from other places before you actually decide to buy anything.

I personally think that that place is a bunch of bull, selling 6" merrilliana plants for $200 and  5" bicalcarata plants  for $100!!
mad.gif
I got my merrilliana for $5 on ebay (which is at least 8" in diameter) and my bicalcarata cost me $20 (It was 4" in diameter when I got it)!! Is a 1 inch difference really worth $80? NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I think that this site is taking advantage of the fact that their main clientele, orchid growers, normally don't have a clue that they can get Nepenthes plants from other places at much cheaper prices. This is especially annoying to me because this happens all the time here in Puerto Rico. You see a people paying rediculous amounts of money for plants that, in florida at least, are really SUPER CHEAP!
sad.gif
I guess that ppl just get mesmerized by thier beauty a buy them impulsively without thinking straight.

So anyway, nathaniel, make sure that you compare prices for those plants (like with Phil and Jeff and Tony P) to see where you can find the best prices.
Take care everyone!

Joel

Sorry if I sounded like a complete *** there, but I just hate it when ppl get ripped off, when buying plants or otherwise. Please forgive me if It sounds too demanding.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Sorry, had to laugh at that one. Mindmaze, those sizes refer to the pot sizes, not the plants
smile.gif
! You'd haveto be pretty stupid to pay that much for such small plants. All of their plants are large, save for the raja they just got in. Misunderstandings can be so funny
biggrin.gif

Woops!
wow.gif
I guess I should have read the fine print... :/

I still think that the prices are outrageous, and the size indication is also misleading. But whatever no harm done!
smile.gif

Joel

They are pricey, but I haven't been able to find any medium-large sized plants( just small ones) so I'm going to go ahead and by them. Could you help me out in my lighting topic please?

Funny - one of their plants seem to me as been labeled wrong:

N. clipeata has no peltate leaf insertion on the leafes which can be seen (well the biggest leafes can't be seen exactly) - a N. clipeata of this size for sure should have those peltate insertions...

N. burkei does look very similar to the N. ventricosa red form.

Joachim

The photo of the whole plant (clipeata) is definately not correctly labeled. That actual photo is from a plant that was out for auction on the CP listserv about two years ago, and it was called off because the identity was doubtful, as people on the list thought that it was a hybrid.

Regards,

Christer

Very observant you two! Interesting. Also I am wiht Joel, I have thought about getting some plants from there before but thier just too pricey!! $$$$$$$$$$$$ I would NEVER pay $100 or $200 dollars for Bical or Merrilliana!

I guess that's the way some larger companies are. And about burkei; you could be right, but I've seen a burkei with pitchers just like it in the book Insect Eating Plants, by Adrian Slack. As for the clipeata, I don't know. I don't really care about the price too much. I'm a big spender( I get a $50.00 allowence)
smile.gif

Over how long of a period? A month? And for doing what?

Well, to tell you the truth, every week for being good and doing my chores.

Wow! That's pretty high pay for doing a few around the house chores.
smile.gif

Yeah. With my mom's new job at Lowse, we can afford it. But it's not like I'm just looking to spend money. I think it was a pretty good deal considering my choices of places to get nepenthes from, and what they had to offer.

Back