What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4" J Finn pitcher

I was wondering how I was doing on my nep.

It seems happy, and the color looks good, but I don't know what the max is on size--should I expect still larger pitchers?

The ventricosa is maxing out at about 2-2.5 inches per pticher, and is growing a lot slower than the Finn (I have not repotted this one).

Steve

I have seen larger pithcers on J.Finn, but they do grow slow. A method of producing larger pitchers is by allowing the forming pitcher to lay on a bed of live sphagnum moss.

I think they can get up to 12". N.Ventricosa should get bigger pitchers. Maybe ou should give it a little to eat and wait a while.

I have had one for 6 months, and they are barely topping 2, so your doing great.

Stevo is it possible  you could post a pic of your J. Finn? (pitchjer and plant) I'm not sure if that's what mine is or not so I'd like to conpare it to yours. If ya can't no biggie!
smile.gif

Once they get going, N. x Judith Finn seems to grow much larger with each leaf. After a little over a year, mine prodiced a 9" pitcher (right after a 5" one) and it has more forming now. The leaves have grown quite a bit larger even after the 9" pitcher, so I get a feeling it'll be a big plant once it's full grown. It has gotten a bit too big though, the leaves are huge, some more than a foot long.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ July 17 2002,06:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stevo is it possible  you could post a pic of your J. Finn? (pitchjer and plant) I'm not sure if that's what mine is or not so I'd like to conpare it to yours. If ya can't no biggie! :)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
OK Josh--

If I can get the local digital camera from work I will do it! The peristome is red, but only on the more recent, larger pitchers. I think patterning and coloration will change as new pitchers come in.

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tristan @ July 17 2002,04:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think they can get up to 12".  N.Ventricosa should get bigger pitchers.  Maybe ou should give it a little to eat and wait a while.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yeah--the vent just managed to get some food last week.

I am looking forward to giant pitchers. I cannot imagine this thing that large!

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carnivorous23 @ July 17 2002,4:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Once they get going, N. x Judith Finn seems to grow much larger with each leaf. After a little over a year, mine prodiced a 9" pitcher (right after a 5" one) and it has more forming now. The leaves have grown quite a bit larger even after the 9" pitcher, so I get a feeling it'll be a big plant once it's full grown. It has gotten a bit too big though, the leaves are huge, some more than a foot long.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Wow--

What are your growing conditions, IYDMMA?

Steve

Yes what are the growing conditions for them?
I've got 3 of these "probably J Finns" and I've got one in highland, one in intermediate and one in a heated lowland, all seem to be behaving about the same in their current size.

here's what mine look like

Plant (Now in larger pot)
<image src="http://the-natural-aquarium.com/nepunknown5.02.jpg">

Pitcher:
<image src="http://the-natural-aquarium.com/JF602.jpg">

Swords if all of them look like that one then I can assure you that they are Judith Finns. I grow a Judith Finn which is a little bigger than the one in the picture and your plant is definately a Judith Finn. The pitchers on the plant once it is established will get much larger in a very short period of time. I personally grow mine in lowland conditions, which I probably need to change, but for the next few weeks I dont have much of a choice. They are highland to intermediate, but they are a sturdy hybrid that I doubt would mind being in lowland conditions much. Love the pictures.

If a good digital camera wasn't as much as the 3000sq ft green house I want to buy I'd get one and have nicer close ups than these fuzzies cos this cheap Kodak has no macro as all. Well If I get Jurassic Gardens up and running I can hopefully buy a real killer digital camera!

I'm growing it on a west facing windowsill (there's good humidity here thanks to lake Ontario). 80-95 degree days, 55-70 degree nights during the summer. It's been in the same spot for a little over a year, but it is in a 12" pot, with vermiculite/perlite/peat mix, so there should be a lot of room for roots. It's been getting a lot of bugs, and the smaller pitchers were fed a couple of crickets.
I think the plant usually grows pretty big if you give it enough time.
I wish I could post a picture, maybe in another month when my cousin gets a scanner.

Ventricosa really gets that big? Mine is pitchering like crazy, but they are all about 2" or smaller.

N. Judith Finn = 12"
N. Ventricosa is supposed to get 5 inche pitchers.

Ventricosa can put out pitchers bigger than 5" because mine has three 6" ones right now.
smile.gif

Do you know where it came from? Whats the plants diameter?

Ventricosa are supposed to get a maximum of 6 inch pitchers.

Back