What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher qns

• Thread starter wezx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
how long does it take for a small pitcher to grow to ABOUT 5 inches?
thx

Hello,
It depends on what kind of plant you have, ranging from 2 years to, around 10. Like, N. Ventricosa, can reach maturity farily fast, while, N. Villosa grows at such a slow rate, it takes much longer.
Kevin

how bout atala and grasilis and gentle?(sorry i dont really know the names)

The pitchers that are open on your plant now will not themselves grow anymore. Once they open that's as large as they will get. The next leaves may make a bigger/better pitcher if your growing conditions are appropriate.

Alata and gracilis are fast growers and should reach "large" pitcher sizes rather quickly (alata generally around 6 inches and gracilis topped at 4 inches). Hybrids like Gentle, Coccinea, etc. are usually sold as mature plants made into non-TC clones ("cuttings" in other words).

If you have any the above plants that already have large leaves (8-12 inch long leaves) but the plants are making tiny pitchers,that means the plants are probably not getting something it needs from it's growing conditions. It can be wanting more light, water, humidity or the temperatures are wrong for the species to grow well.

If your plants are small around 4-6 inches total (in other words 3 inch leaves) you should see an increase of leaf and pitcher size with every new leaf as the plant produces them.

If you describe the size of your plants and growing conditions we may be able to isolate the problem with your plants (if there is one).

umm...my gracilis is still small maybe about 4 inches tall and pitchers are about 1 inch,i have a few alatas, they are from 5-8 inches tall, the 8 inch one have 5 inch leaves but the leaves are quite thin,pitchers are about 2-3 inches,and i just bought a gentle yesterday , ONLY THE older leaves are about 7 inches long and quite wide with 5-6 inch pitchers ...but strangly after a few older leaves at the bottom the newer leaves at the top are only about 4-5 inches with small developing pitchers, will the leaves grow bigger,and when it grow bigger will the pitchers grow bigger?

Nepenthes need a period of time to adjust to new growing conditions. This can be as long as 6months or more even. Humidity and light levels changes cause plants to respond differently. If conditions are good the plants will settle in and grow bigger in time. My key to determine how a plant is doing is to watch primarily the pitcher size. A plant with non full size pitchers should produce progressively larger pitchers. If it is not then something needs adjusting.
Tony

oh now i know y my matured pitcher(N.gentle) has small leaves...someone took a cutting from it so its node grew,how long does it take to have big pitchers again?

oh about my other neps,the leaves get bigger every time a new leaves forms,like what swords said,but the pitchers are the same size or sometimes smaller...

I think that everyone else here has answered the questions, but I wanted to add that my two different alata both put out larger pitchers after eating! After feeding the smaller existing pitchers with flies, the next set of leaves and pitchers were even more impressive!
smile.gif

Back