What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your favorite nepenthes?

Whats your favorite nepenthes?

If you ask this question to the senior members of this forum, they would reply, Most of them are their favourites.. Owning a nepenthes is so intoxicating and addictive that one wants to have more and more and more.........

Having said that, I would start mentioning a few;

(highlanders)
N. macrophylla, N. Ovata, N. izumiae (black), N. jacquelinae, N. lowii, N. burbidgeae, N. densiflora, N. rajah, N. veitchii, and last but not least, N. muluensis (purple with white lids).

(lowlanders)
N. albomarginata
N. rafflesiana
N. ampullaria
and N. bicalcarata.

Gus

Gus

"all of them" obviously!
wink.gif

But seriously my faves that I own (and reasons thereof) are:

N. hamata - it just looks like a beast with wiry hairs sticking up off the lid and the wicked looking clawed peristome which seems to evolve "outward" as the plant matures. It's also a very rapid grower in cool conditions

N. bicalcarata - it too has teeth but it's growth speed is awesome in hot conditions.

N. aristolochioides - I love the small globular pitchers which look like hanging swallows nests And to a far lesser degree the flowers of Aristolochia (which it is named after).

N. rajah - a slow grower for most people but mine seems to be pleased with my conditions and has given me many nivce surprises over the year and some months that I've had it. Including reproducing itself 4 times in offshoots (even at a small size) and paying for itself several times over by sale of some of the offshoots. Plus my main rajah plant has grown faster than I expected.

Basically, as Gus said, once you have a nep and have figured out how to grow it well, you too will be addicted...

...JOIN US....

tounge.gif

All of them.

Especially the ones that I don't have yet!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, of the ones I have (about 20), my current faves are the following, based as much on the current size and condition of them as anything:
N. maxmima x ventricosa (vigorous grower, huge, wide-mouthed traps)
N. ampularia (grows like crazy, 3inch traps)
N. albomaringata (cool dark purple pitchers with white stripe under peristome. Mine grows consistently, but slowly.)
N. maxima x albomaringata (very cool light green pitchers with red specks, and a deep red "judith finn"-style peristome)

Capslock

I refuse to answer this question in that is cruel and unusual punishment to force me to pick just one!!!

Now if I was going to answer it.. which I am not. I would pick....

N. hamata

Tony

Horray for hamata!
biggrin.gif

hmm, I like mine N. sanguinea
smile.gif
it Malay like me and it has nice pither, I also like N. veitchii and N. X ventrata
tounge.gif

ALL OF THEM!! I could never, ever pick, it's way to hard!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hello,
Just 1? Wow, I would have to go with N. Villosa, I love the peristome!
For one that I own, it would be N. Xiphioides. I love the egg shaped orange pitchers!
Kevin

Get back with me once I find a way to grow every single lowland plant that I can fit under the pergola.  It truly is unfair to have to pick.  It's the comparisons and differences that makes each one so special.  

Rafflesiana is a really beautiful and diverse variety.  Alata or ventrata have very elegant pitchers -- not to mention all the types of alatas.  Bicalcarata makes the cobra lily look tame.  Ampullaria is weird, but cool weird.  Miranda is impressive in terms of size, some of the top leaves and pitchers get HUGE, to me anyway.  Coccicinea makes really nice red color, and mine is starting to get healthy and grow like a weed -- so I love it!  Etc.  

I think we get just a bit
rolleyes.gif
emotionally invested in our plants.  Hence, sometimes the cheapest little plant is the best, if you nursed it back to health or something similar.  OK, maybe a LOT emotionally invested sometimes.  If you celebrate each new growth point, you might have a problem.  
tounge.gif

Well its very, very, VERY hard to chose a favorite cuz there are sooooooo many awesome ones to chose!
tounge.gif
But I will go with my all time favorite, but forbidden, n. hamata. Why forbidden you ask? Well, lets just say I can't handle highland nepenthes
sad.gif
And my favorite owned is the n. maxima 'lowland' ,but its new to me so I'm starting to get used to it
biggrin.gif

Ouch. Hamata...Lowii

Ugh. That post was typo city. I blame my keyboard. I have some Neps pretty close to what I spelled them anyway.
sad.gif

I promise to post pics of some Cantley's Reds I'm getting and to relay anything I learn. I'm going off the lowland deep end.
smile.gif

I don't think I'll ever be able to simulate highland conditions in Florida outside. Which, all things considered, is probably a good thing. There are enough lowland plants for one lifetime.

Dear all:

Please don't get me wrong!!. I love hamata very much, but I don't see why it is better than N. macrophylla or edwardsiana.

I Just saw N. tenuis and it is a very beautiful plant, but N. jacquelinae is even better!!. Oh what the heck!!. If i see them all at once in a shop I'll empty the #### shop.!!.

Gus

I think for me the most diabolical looking plant in the greenhouse right now is the N. hamata. If I had a large N. macrophylla or beter yet a N. edwardsiana then perhaps my pick might be different. Then again maybe not.. hard to beat the speed which N. hamata grows and puts out pitchers as well as the coloration, display on the plant and the wild looking teeth.

T

For me my "favorite" changes...it's usually my most recently aquired one!
tounge.gif

I that's because of the newness of it, you know, the "novelty" syndrome....Anyway, at the moment, it would have to be x 'Ventrata' (big thanks to Nick and Dyflam for their contributions to my madness)

Though I must say, since my tobaica suddenly came to life, it's running a close second...

Then there's.....Oh rats! I can't pick
sad.gif

How can you beat the beauty of northiana! And for the Nepenthes grower its a true challenge.
If you like lowlanders, the 'lowland giants' are spectacular when well grown- bicalcarata, merilliana, rafflesiana gigantea, sumatrana...but northiana remains the elusive beauty.

Trent

Northiana is indeed awesome! It's just very slow to grow. Mine has gone from 4" diameter to 14" diameter in a little over a year while my bical has gone from 12" to 56" in the same amount of time!

N. macrophylla (when it gets big) will be another favorite of mine to be sure but there as so many aspects of N. hamata which are interesting/impressive to me.

One of my "ultimate score" plants is indeed N. edwardsiana (along with N. klossii & N. platychilla) but no one has them for sale at any price. Supposedly they are "not in cultivation"...

I have a hybrid that is supposed to be partly N. edwardsiana but I do not have confirmation that it's not N. edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla (a.k.a. N. macrophylla). I have asked the "source" of this hybrid but I have not yet heard back one way or the other.

The hunt continues...!
smile.gif

Swords, in response to your inquiry on the hybrid. This is what I was told upon inquiry.

"I haven't seen a N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana, but Ch'ien assures me that it is a very nice looking plant. Referring to your questions below, seed was collected from one N. burbidgeae and the seedlings are now big enough to determine that it is a hybrid N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana. It grows in the same habitat as N. edwardsiana. It is definitely not a N. edwardsiana or a N. macrophylla. It is a single clone."

Your also incorrect on your information regarding at least N. platychilla
wink.gif

Tony

Back