What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie seeks help

Hello all,

I am a newbie to cp's and have been doing some reading for the past two weeks trying to decide what kind of cps to start with and I think I am hooked on the beauty of the nepenthe ,

I was wondering what you would recommend as " easy" neps for a beginner? and does any one know where one can order or purchase them in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

I would go with N. ventricosa or a N. ventricosa hybrid like xVentrata (often labelled just N. Ventrata). They are very adaptable and do well on a bright windowsill. Your northerly climate would be the right temperature range also.

Sorry I can't help on the Canadian sources question ;<
Tony

the closest people I know to you gotta be NG and Tony, and they know all about growing stuff up in that place where ice and stuff is on the ground in the winter (strange) so I would definately heed their advice...

I can tell you your biggest obstacle will be warmth and humidity... especially humidity because your heater will rip it right out of the air.

Hey! Where in Canada are you?

I can give you a few websites to get neps off of, but I wouldn't do it this time of year... Its starting to get on the cold side...

If you live in the Hamilton area of ontario, reply ASAP, because I know where you can get some healthy neps... They're at my work, and they JUST came in. Some are in hanging baskets... about ten inch diameteres. I havent got a chance to realy see what kinds they are yet as I only went in there to check my hours, but I'm gin tommorow, and I BETTER get one for myself! Hehhe... There are a few diff kinds...

I am in Toronto, so not too far from Hamilton.

I guess to resolve the warmth and humidity problem I am was thinking of using a terrarium, I have a spare tank that is 30 " long , 24" high by 12 " wide. Think I could house a couple plants in there?

I have a small 70watt high pressure sodium light kicking about however I think the heat from it might be too much for a terrarium so I was going to use some compact fluorescents.

Any thoughts suggestions ?

Well. If you know where the White Rose on Upper James/Hw.6 is, come as soon as you can... I guess you can check the places around you too, but righ was you walk in theres a tray set up with small hanging pots and ones in regular four inch pots... The hanging ones are about four inches too...

If you don't mind me asking... How old are you? I mean... Are you capable of driving yourself around, or do you need a parent? Weekdays we close at 9:30...
smile.gif

man, all this talk about getting Neps at a local store where you guys live and i have checked lowes,walmart,k-mart,called all the nurserys and there is only one place to get them local here and i have them already. man it must be nice to walk in a store and buy a couple of them.

o and by the way welcome to the forum Seedling

As Tony said, ventricosa and most ventricosa hybrids should do well. Many highland nepenthes do well, even on windowsills. Other than ventricosa, khasiana, sanguinia, and x Judith Finn (spathulata x veitchii) are excellent plants, and can even be grown on windowsills. I'm from right across the lake, in Youngstown, NY.

Anyways, welcome to the forums
smile.gif

I'm not sure about where to get nepenthes in Canada. You might find something on the ICPS webring, at http://www.carnivorousplants.org/webring/webringmain.html

If you want to grow plants on a windowsill, stick with highland plants like I do here in Alaska. Good ones for me have been N. khasiana and N. sanguinea. I also suspect that highland forms of N. maxima and N. alata would do pretty well. N. ventricosa would probably do good too, but I haven't had much luck with it. If your worried about humidity, you can purchase a small Holmes, cool mist humidifier for about $26 from Lowes or Wall Mart. Here in Alaska, the days are getting shorter, and my plants are growing slower. If the days get too much shorter, I'll haveto transfer them to my special growing room. You could also grow many nepenthes in a terrarium. Just make sure you put in nepenthes with similar environmental needs( highlanders with highlanders, and lowlanders with lowlander). I don't know where to get nepenthes in Canada. Try ordering off the internet within the next month. Hope that helps
smile.gif

Try not to get a strict highland that will get too big anytime soon like a sanguinea though...

Here in southern ontario, our summers get HOOOOOT!!! Deadly for highlands, even with an iced terrarium... U totally need to watch forthat. Leaveone summer for experimenting... DO be careful! Hehehe...

Parasuco... you're in Hamilton?
Seedling, which part of Toronto area?
I'm up in Richmond Hill....

Anyways, back on topic. Seedling... you can check Sheridan Nursuries at Hwy 7 between Warden and Kennedy across the street from White Rose. Last time I checked, they had some young Neps (unidentified) but the ones they had left were not in good condition. They did have some really nice, large Neps (can't remember what they were labelled though).
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Im right downtown Toronto,

thanks for all the advice and spots to looks.

Ill check them out this weekend.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Here in southern ontario, our summers get HOOOOOT!!! Deadly for highlands, even with an iced terrarium... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Parasuco, I've grown highland nepenthes in Niagara Falls for two years, without using anything to cool them, on windowsills. The only species that has even slowed growth over the summer is N. fallax, and I haven't lost any of them to heat.
Ultrahighland nepenthes might have problems, but the highland ones are just fine for a couple months in the heat.

Some one just emailed me that Home Depot in Toronto sells them. Home depot = toy store for adult men, and its a pay week.

This is going to be bad.

Back