What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures

Hey all

My bathroom got swarmed by ants the other day, so I strategically placed some Nepenthes in various locations. They seemed to have found the Sanguinea most attractive -here are some cool picts. I think my plants ate easily over a thousand ants total.

ants.jpg

ants2.jpg

sorry if the pics were too big
sad.gif

Neat! Good shots!
I'm curous, did you notice if nectar production on the peristome increased as the plants ate?

well at least you don't have to call a exsterminature to get reed of the ants. kool pic bet there all nice and full now.from the looks of it most of them went after only one pitcher.

cool! Get em neps! Get em! lol. Make sure the pitchers don't overflow!  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ Nov. 19 2002,8:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Neat! Good shots!
I'm curous, did you notice if nectar production on the peristome increased as the plants ate?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I didn't notice any increased nectar production. Also, if there were any increase, it would have been cancelled out by the decrease in humidity as they were moved from their terrarium to the less humid bathroom.

I fed 6 neps (sanguinea, ventricosa x2, j. finn, rafflesiana x2), each with 5 to 8 pitchers all eventually full of ants, and that probably didn't even account for 1% of all ants that were swarming my bathroom. Their numbers are staggering. I ended up vacuuming up like a zillion ants.

Incidentally, the ants came back for vengeance later on, appearing on my balcony and farming scales and some other wierd pests (little white things) on my 3 VFTs. And strangely, my VFT's don't close on the ants - perhaps the ants are too small. But many of them ended up meeting their doom inside my S. Purpurea. The cycle of life unfolding before my very eyes in the comfort of my own apartment...

nepenthes plant... $8.95
gallon of distilled water... $1.29
30 gallon terrarium... $25.99
the joy of being a CP grower... PRICELESS

"For everything else....there's mastercard."
biggrin.gif

Great pics and great thinking Leo!
smile.gif

Leo, if you get tired of vaccuming, put 20 or 30 percent Borax into a couple ounces of honey, put it out where the ants can get it, and after a few days the colony should die out.

That is a sweet picture of you pitcher! I love to see ants dieing. Just makes me soooooo happy!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
. Thanks for sharing.

travis
smile.gif

Dang that is nice!

and does a gallon of water really cost you that much? it's only 47 cents for me!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ Nov. 20 2002,4:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dang that is nice!

and does a gallon of water really cost you that much? it's only 47 cents for me![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Isn't it outrageous? Only in West L.A. will anybody pay so much for plant water. (And that's with Ralph's Club discount, by the way)

Leo,

I pay .27 for refills in Nebraska form the supermarket RO machines.
Dude. A those prices you are paying in LA, you might to invest in kiddy pools to collect rain whenever it occurs. They would pay for themselves many times over.

Regards,

Joe

OMG wowee! Yet another a problem solved
wink.gif

Heck, a gallon of water costs me ATLEAST a buck. Gets pretty expensive, but luckily, it doesn't come out of my pocket... yet.

me i do the indian rain dance and prey for rain. lucky i bought one gal. of water and it is still unopened

Last time it rained here, I left a bucket on the roof of my condo to collect some rainwater. Next day, after it stopped raining and I went to fetch the bucket, I found that our maintenance guy kindly drained the water the left the bucket upside down. Retard!

Back