What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes i.d.

I my N. Tobiaca has the same kind of pitchers almost. It would be cool if some one make a site were you can combine multiple hybrids and there would be a picture that would show up as a that hybrid it would make guessing so much easer.
biggrin.gif
The last pitcher my N. Tobiaca sent looked like a little N. Lowii pitcher so if you combine N. Tobica upper pitchers and you plant is so big it is already making upper pitcher since the lower basal shoot looks like nothing like the bigger pitcher it is a lower pitcher. So combine ventricosa that the presome is more in not like a tobiaca pitcher It would look like you pitcher that you have on that plant.
biggrin.gif

The leafs on the plant loos like a N. Tobiaca added with a ventricosa. What plants did you buy?
biggrin.gif

My best guess.........N. Tobiaca?
confused.gif

Yeah meybe a N. Tobiaca "Pink" or purple kind.
biggrin.gif
since the basl shoot looks kinda like a pink color right.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

well i don't thing it is a N.tobiaca the leaf is not the right shape. i do think it has N. ventricosa in it. would any other people like to give it a try. the pics will be on until sometime next week then i'm removing them.

Sorry was out of town. Yes N. ventricosa. My best guess for the other part is N. gracilis. The plant form is very N. gracilis like. And the pitchers are showing alot of N. ventricosa which is typically very dominant in hybrids. The hairs on the lid of the young basal pitchers don't mean much. Many Nepenthes show this trait on young pitchers.

Tony

Thanks Tony for the input and everyone else

Well,
I e-mailed Doug Bertelsen, and if it's the plant he sent George, it was a plant he got a couple of years ago from Peter Thiel labeled N. khasiana. That's what Doug can contribute. Now I guess we can ask Peter, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Meybe it could be a N. Khasiana x N. Ventricosa?
wink.gif

Well that is not N. khasiana the pitcher look nothing like that (lower or upper).

i know the picture isn't that clear but, the lid does look like it could be khasiana but, it also stands vertical which it is a sign of a ventricosa lid. wish i had a better pic to show

Joe, when i got the plant i asked Doug about it and i got the same responce from him about it (lol)

Otherwise, I was going to guess a gracilis hybrid, as it has the "gracile" leaves and looks like a scrambler. When you mentioned teeth, you meant on the peristome and not the lid, right? I could not see fangs under the lid, otherwise I would habe guessed a N. x Cantleyi(bical x gracilis).

Joe

all along the bottom of the peristome inside of the pitcher there are really small fangs. no not like (Bicarcalata) where the fangs are under the lid. i just tried to get a picture of the peristome but, none of them where clear enought to post.

Joe he's talking about the teeth of the verticle peristome type...best nep I can think of to show this trait is N. veitchii. It's like a row of saw teeth on a hand saw. N. truncata also shows this trait.

meybe a nepenthes merrilliana x ventricosa Red. Or Merriliana x Khasiana.
confused.gif

No cooler is different the formation of the pitcher is differnt and the lids isn't white like yours.
wink.gif

This the information I got from one of Bruce Lees friends;Kinda looks like one of the Sumatran Nepenthes by the foliage and the pitcher says it might be a hybrid along those lines...bongso x ? Need more info and bigger photo's of the pitcher (more clear), were did you get it..history, is it cold hardy? ect. But it dose look like one of the Sumatran plants, possable a natural or man made hybrid, can't go any farther than that without alot more to work with,Bruce Lee. Can you answer and post the asnweres to these questions that he asked.---Phil
biggrin.gif

ok i edited 2 more pictures to the first post. i don't have anymore of the mature pitcher. i can take more pictures of the off shoot that pitcher is only a week or so. i have only had the plant since Nov. and it has grown 4 in" since then as for it being cold hardy. i just brought the plant into the house and kept it in the bathroom over the winter. i grow it as a lowlander but, probly could use some more humidity cause it hasn't produced any pitchers since i got it and it looks like it hasn't produced any for quit some time due to the pitchers where on the lower end of the plant when i got it. i posted early where i got it from and griffen sayed where he got it from. i don't know the other persons e-mail addy to find out more info on it. if Mr. Lee has anymore questions i will answer them as best as i can

Back