What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamPuppy

Now first, I am talking about your really hardy specimens here... not the uber sensetive ultra highlanders and what not...

but here is basically what I am thinking...

I have on my desk two home depot nepenthes (well, 2 pots, actually about 5 plants) and a ventricosa. I water with distilled water and mist with distilled water daily. Humidity is around 45% in my office.

I am thinking about putting one of the home depot, or maybe the ventricosa outside to see if, after being adapted to a harsher environment (humidity wise, my office is lower than outside, but I don't have any sun, only artificial light) it can take growing outdoors in one of my shady spots.

Thing is, I know it will start drinking water like a pig, and until I have an RO unit, going through half a gallon a day of RO aint gonna happen. (thats about 25 cents, and it would add up.) Do you guys think a nep can take tap water? I mean, I can observe yearly re-potting to keep the mineral levels low, but let me tell you why I am thinking this.

When moderate care is given at home depot or lowes, nepenthes always seem to be the last surviving plants, at least in my area.

Nepenthes are really different than most CPs we grow, their tissues seem tougher, they are more drought tolerant, (i.e. you forget to water, they sometimes amaze you with their come back ability)

nepenthes seem to be the most 'different' at least to me, of all the CP's, and I am wondering if they generally, have been coddled in care because of the company they keep.

Any thoughts?

I think, barring serious objection, i will test with one of the home depot varietis and see what happens... water every day with tap (san antonio does not chlorinate heavily as our water is typically filtered 70 some odd years through the aquifer before being pumped back out of the ground, it does have high dissolved solids though.) and once a month, flush with a gallon of pure RO.

Your input is appreciated!

Sounds like it could work, although I think it would work better with a Nepenthes gracilis, since this plant regenerates leaves quickly, and will appreciate the heat that we get. Also, I would try to use a media such as LFS, that allows a lot of aeriation, so the roots wouldn't choke out... Just my 4 penny halves
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Ram,
   I couldn't tell you about the ventricosa, as I just got mine, but if your Home Depot nep is a x judith finn like mine is, it's tough as nails.  Back when I didn't know what I was doing, I really abused it.  You should see it now!  I would start with one of those.
  As far as the mineral content goes, I would try, but keep a close eye on it.  If they can take being thrust into full sun, dropped on their heads, kicked, and dried out (hey, I was brand new at the time&#33
wink.gif
, then I don't think a few minerals will kill 'em too quick.

edit: Upon further reflection, I suppose it might depend on exactly what mineral are in your water, but the nep may react like it would to fertilizer....the possiblity exists of bigger leaves and smaller pitchers....just a thought.

well, as far as I know, dissolved lime and calcium, sinceo our aquifer is made of limestone... seems to be the predominant thing. No copper or other metals that I know of.

yeah, i am thinking home depot is the winner, it has taken a tremendous amount of abuse and seemed to enjoy it. And it is tough as nails. (Actually, a nail might cower in it's presence.) I also wouldn't feel to bad losing a home depot nepenthes, I mean, I like the plant and all, but I have sooo many of them, they are very common, and lets face it, once we get going in the hobby, they usually get crowded out to the least desireable spot as our named species, hybrids, and cultivars take over our collections... their a beginners plant, beautiful and wonderful in their own right... (I'm not very nice to them are I&#33
wink.gif

So, Home Depot it is!

Well, Ram, if they're so burdensome to you....You can always send them to me!
wink.gif

I'm kinda embarassed to admit that my LPOH nep is one of my favorites! It has stayed relatively compact, and has pitchered like MAD. Not to mention it has FOUR growth points, so it really looks like a small hedge.

I have one the same way, and I won't risk it!
smile.gif

Shameless attempt to poach plants Schloaty! You should be proud!
smile.gif
LOL!

I've said it before and i'll say it again... i water with tap water and my Neps are ok. The only "pure" water that they get comes frome the rain, and it's not that much.

Joel

Poach?
icon2.gif

Just trying to give it a LOVING home...
wink.gif

Don't you see my halo? LOL!!

For what it's worth, i've watered my neps with almost exclusively tap water for the last six months.  I think flushing with DI/RO water every couple of months would be a good idea.  My pots are starting to grow that infamous green carpet moss on them that suggests a mineral buildup.

I personally believe (but haven't any evidence on hand to prove it) that adding a bit of HCL or H2SO4 to your water to 'de-lime' it would make it much better for the neps (leaving salts rather than carbonates).  You'd have to do some experimentation to figure out how much to add to get the pH to about 6.

I still firmly believe the entire CP community is suffering from some mass hallucination, because i have checked carefully (eagerly?) at no less than five Home Depots and a Lowes, and have never seen a CP, not even a VFT.

This last week i did see a poor (but huge) pitcherless nep at my local grocery store, however!

If you don't know what kind of tap water you have, I would just let it stand a day before watering with it. Remember, R/O water doesn't exist in the wild. Tropical rain water after filtering through the detritus is usually acid. Chlorine is not present, so if you let your tap water stand a day, start observing your plants to see how they do with it. Some water sources can be quit alkaline due to water flowing through limestone. This may present a problem, but then again, it may not as some neps grow on outcroppings of limestone that is covered with moss. Neps are pretty tough regarding water types. Enjoy and good luck.

Kim

Back