What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. madagascariensis

G

gerryw

"All the plants grew in a very wet acidic sandy soil with peat moss and sphagnum (1/2 quartz sand, 1/2 peat moss), completely covered by 2 to 5 cm of water." writes Alexandre Antoine(on www.wistuba.com), talking about N. Madagascariensis.  However all the reading I've done on Nepenthes cautions about leaving the roots of the plant covered with water. Has anybody tried reproducing these conditions or similar conditions and with what results?

Gerry
gwildenb@rochester.rr.com

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gerryw @ May 02 2003,01:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"All the plants grew in a very wet acidic sandy soil with peat moss and sphagnum (1/2 quartz sand, 1/2 peat moss), completely covered by 2 to 5 cm of water." writes Alexandre Antoine(on www.wistuba.com), talking about N. Madagascariensis.  However all the reading I've done on Nepenthes cautions about leaving the roots of the plant covered with water. Has anybody tried reproducing these conditions or similar conditions and with what results?

Gerry
gwildenb@rochester.rr.com[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
my n. mad grows very well with wet roots, dunno about completely under water but the peat moss is soakin wet, and some of it is live, the nep grows well, id caution about strong sunlight, i dunno if mine has to get used to it or if it cant take it at all

I grow N. madagascariensis in true lowland conditions with moist to wet sphagnum moss I haven't experimented with any other soils. Other than that it is pretty striaght forward cultivation. Good luck!
smile.gif

Back