What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Job for Nep expert

I know it look like ventrata but.......
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

anyway I like it
arie

Does it usually look like that? I see another pitcher off to the side that looks like it has a lid but the peristome looks a little funky on that one also. Some more pics might help of the leaves, side views, and other pitchers.

With what I have seen so far, I would say... a wierd xVentrata
Tony

Might it have ampullara in it? Just guessing from the look of the peristome.

Pyro

Interesting. I have a nepenthes alata or ventrata that I rescued last winter that is finally pitchering for me and it seems to be doing something similar...bulbous pitchers with mouths that flare backwards, and the tiniest of lids. I was going to wait to see if the pitchers continue this way throughout the season. I'll post a pic of it next week. Oz

I do also think it may be a malformed pitcher due to environmental factors. Here is the new species I discovered in my terrarium:

N_inermis_ventricosa_def.jpg

The plant produced only two of these strange pitchers growing under too low humidity. The other ones look more like the original N inermis x ventricosa pitchers. Intermediate:

N_inermis_ventricosa_int.jpg

Upper:

N_inermis_ventricosa_up.jpg

And it is quite normal that nepenthes produce strange pitchers with too small lids grown under too low humidity - well at least mine do this.

Joachim

VERY interesting Arie! My guess it would be an N. Ventricosa x Ampullaria or an N.Ventrata x Ampullaria.

Yes, I have to say, it does look VERY ampullaria X ventricosa... Since ventricosa's lids are usually VERY close to the peristome, I would think that the position the other pitcher's lid is in is about in between that of ventricosa, and ampullaria... With a ventrata, I think that It would be reclined a bit further... not only is the bottom of the pitcher ventricose, but the top is too, which makes me think that there isnt any alata in it...

I had ventrata do the same thing when I first got it. Except there was a tiny lid (about .5 cm diameter) on a 5" pitcher.

Leaf and pitcher look exactly the same but mine are pure deep red.

Part of the problem is the pitchers are not formed right.  Which is why I asked if it does this all the time and if any other pictures are possible.  I have had deformed pitchers on various species and hybrids due to environmental factors.  Typically it is seen as no lids and scrunched tops of the pitcher.

I don't see any ampullaria at all.  
Here is a pic of ampullaria x ventricosa I borrowed from Geoff Mansell.  You can see how strongly ampullaria it looks even with ventricosa which is normally very strong in influencing hybrids in it's own right.  The peristome on ampullaria goes in like a lobster trap it does not roll outward at all.  And the narrow straight up ampullaria lid comes through generations of hybrids strongly.  Not to mention it wipes out any type of constrictions in the middle of the pitcher and makes them much more squat.  (I would expect xVentrata x ampullaria to look almost exactly like this as well)
h111.jpg

The little bit of leaf there and the pitcher both show alata influence.  I am pretty sure it's xVentrata.  
T

i dont see any ampullaria either

im saying ventrata too

I am looking at the way the peristome is formed, it is funneled inward like Ampullaria. It was a guess after all.
confused.gif

I was guessing because of the peristome too... It looks very ampy... The lid isnt as close to the mouth as it would be if it was pure ventricosa, but the top half is too swollen to be ventrata... I think...

Sorry for making a weird and demented guess... Hahaha...

I didnt know that amps influenced stuff so strongly, i figured it would be mostly half and half OR some of this, and some of that, not like, totatlly taken over by the amp... Hmmm... I've learned lots
biggrin.gif

Oh, and FYI, :biggrin:doesnt work anymore, its with the letter D...

Having fun with Superthrive, eh?? ...that's 7 drops per gallon!
wink.gif
not per cup!
wow.gif

hi guys
I'm not on strage ragah stories
I'm not using any Superthrive or any other added stuff
this plant grow together with common ventrata that act normal (todether with ampullaria , albo-marginata , khasiana and lowii all look just normal) under same light humidity and so on (I can put up a photo of both of them side by side).
it not seems like just deformed pitchers due to environmental factors it was a cutting I had bring with me from Slovakia a year ago that grow the same over there (good reason why I bring it with me) .
the lid at first seems deformed but later grow like it seen at the phot from inside side of the pitcher and what happened around it seems more strange.
what I can say for sure it isn't malformed pitcher due to environmental factors.
I would like to invite all to visit and see by themself (isn't so easy but feel free to come)
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

arie

well if it has always been that way then it is most likely a genetic thing. Which was why I asked for more background info ;>

Sometimes you get a weird plant in hybrids because the chromosomes don't always match up properly. Or there may have been a mutation..
Tony

a mutation sound to me more close to true
then malformed pitcher due to environmental factors.
arie

Maybe you should make it a registered cultivar!

Something like N. 'All Choked Up' or N. 'Constricta'.
biggrin.gif

Or how about N.'Dwarftop'.

Back