What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Rafflesiana

G

What does the Bau, giant form of N. rafflesiana look like. Is it tollerant( will it pitcher)of about 50% humidity, or a little lower when slowly acclimated to it?

The true forms of N. rafflesiana Giant Bau Sarawak should have brownish leaves when the leaf is first opening and then get darker than normal rafflesianas as the leaves mature. I don't know where you live, but mine grow fine here in Hawaii outdoors. They can take more sun than many other rafflesianas and their leaves are a bit stiffer and harder indicating that they can survive with a little less humidity than others. They can grow quite large.

Kim

So Bau is a part of Sarawak? And how large does this particular form get?

Is the Bau giant form of rafflesiana the same as  raff var. gigantea? I'm asking because I bought a gigantea a few weeks ago and it sort of matches your description of Bau giant. Thanks a bunch.

Joel

There is a gigantea form from Brunei, Borneo also. Which has less purple flecking. Both would be called rafflesiana var. gigantea
Tony

so there are different types of giant raff? cool which ones do you have Tony? I'll see if I can post a pic of my gigantea tomorow and see where it's from.
smile.gif

Joel

Yeah I guess you could say diferent VARIETY'S of Giant Rafflesiana. Singapore Giant and other gaint forms usually get about the same size but are simpyl from different origins.

The Bau, Sarawak giant form of rafflesiana can get up to 35 cm or 14 to 15 inches high when an adult and perhaps there are larger ones. There are several "giant" forms of rafflesiana including Brunei and Singapore Giant form. The Singapore form usually has more elongated pitchers and does not have the brown immature leaves that eventually turn very dark green as is the case with the Bau Sarawak form. The leaves are a lighter green and remain so on the Singapore giant form. Have fun growing them, as they are nice plants.

Kim

Back