What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaking pitchers?

I was wondering if shaking pitchers causes them to die prematurely? As my washing machine shakes the house a tad tib. I also end up cutting the dead leaves/pitchers off which I cannot help but disturb the pitchers more. Should I not clip off the dead leaves/pitchers?

Thanks,
Travis

If the pitchers and leaves are dead cut them off because it makes the plant unattractive.

Shakeing the plant shouldn't bother it. If it did, they would all drop dead the moment the wind blew, lol
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 31 2003,03:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Shakeing the plant shouldn't bother it.  If it did, they would all drop dead the moment the wind blew, lol
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Good point! The only concern I had was the fluid moving around starting the digesting process. In which it would cause as sooner death.

I do think having died pitchers looks unattractive and that is why I cut them off. It is all about the looks
wink.gif

Travis

Actually the fluid moving around keeps the pitcher acids viable and it prevents fungus and rotten smells fomr coming out fo the pitcher. I periodicaly jiggle my pitchers as it helps the plant digest it's prey, it also prevents premature pitcher death from "indigestion".

I wish my pitchers would die faster, they go about 50% and just stay that way for weeks, lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 31 2003,05:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wish my pitchers would die faster, they go about 50% and just stay that way for weeks, lol.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
abra cadabra...done!
wink.gif
I would like to keep mine for few months. As my nep ventricosa just produced this nice pitcher for me
biggrin.gif
:

DSC00010.JPG

Yes, I just embezzled the camera from work...hehehehe lol

Travis

Also cut of died pitchers and leafs soo the plant wouldn't waste energy on the died leafs. Nice Pitcher on you N. Ventricosa
biggrin.gif

died??  Ummm do you guys mean dead?

Oops...Thanks for pointing that out
smile.gif
. hehehe...

Hun? Dead pitchers are dead, the plant doesn't use energy on them anymore, thats why they are dead.

this may be a little off topic, but has anyone here seen fluids inside a COMPLETELY dead pitcher and tendril? I always do... Is that normal? on most of my pitchers they suck up the fluids, but on some, they don't
wow.gif

I would guess it deals with the humidity at the point the pitcher dies. During the summer when the humidity is high some of the dead pitchers would still have some juice. During the winter my place it a littler drier and they tend to die with no fluid inside. That would be my guess. Hmmm, I wonder if you could use the fluid from a dead pitcher and put it into a live pitcher. I also wonder if a pitcher lives longer if it has fluid inside the pitcher than one that does not.
confused.gif
I have been spraying my nep and that seems to work pretty well too. I read that off someones post...may have been nep g's but I forgot. Thanks anyways.

Travis

Back