What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. jacqueliniae & n. izumiae

Hi,

I decided not to clog up Swords' orignal posting on N. jacquelineae with a bunch of photos that perhaps everyone wouldn't want to spend time downoading, so here's a new thread.

There was some talk of a possible hybrid between N. jacqueliniae & N. izumiae.  The weather up here in the highlands has been just awful but the clouds parted for a few moments today so I grabbed my camera and ran for the nursery.  

Hmmm... where to look?

where _is_it.jpg

aha! here we are, a little gem, even at only 3" diameter.  The pitchers are unmistakeable...

jac_3in.jpg

and here's a closeup of the pitcher, sort of held in one hand with the camera in the other - sorry about that...

jac_3in_pitcher.jpg

here's another seedling grown from seed from the same parent.  Different isn't it?

jac_iz_3in.jpg

here's a wobbly closeup of the pitcher...

jac_x_iz_3in_pitcher.jpg

So, although it is not documented as far as I know, it would seem that a natural hybrid between N. jacqueliniae and N. izumiae probably does exist.

Cheers,

Rob Cantley

Is that first pic just to make us jealous? *pouts in corner about not living in/near the highland* (Sorry, I had to do that) But honestly nice pictures, and An excellent way to show everyone that seed grown shows differences not commonly found in tissue culture... THANKS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

The plant in picture #2 must be the cutest Nep that I've ever seen!
smile.gif
Maybe one day I'll have a house in the mountains where i can grow one. Until then great pictures!

Jœl

WOW!!!! **Looks at all the Neps and faints***

Where do I send my resume for nep nursery sweeper upper?

I'll just be the sweeper upper's assistant!!!

Snowy and I would make a great team... sweepin' up!

What are the yellow papers hanging from the ceiling? They look like buddhist prayer flags or fly paper...
smile.gif

Is fly paper necessary... under the circumstances?
smile.gif

Those are Rob's yellow boxers! Oops I wasn't supposed to tell
wink.gif

Very nice photos Rob - Thanks!
Now I know what to look for in the leaf and pitcher differences when my plant starts putting on some new growth! In the images you show it appears the "hybrid" one has a slightly maxima type tendril attachment to the leaf tip whereas the first one has what looks like a straightforward attachment out of the leaf tip.

If I remember correctly Rob, your website said there was two collections of N. jacquelineae, somewhere around 1750 m and 1850 m. Which ones have been made available both types or just one? Is there any noteworthy differences between the two different populations?

Now, now, Tony, everyone knows my boxers are pink!

The ugly little yellow flags are sticky traps.  (I hate 'em.  If one touches your hair you have an interesting hair style for about a week! ) We're located in a farming community where there are some very tiny flies that can easily pass through shadecloth.  They are attracted to yellow and research has shown that 9" diameter is most attractive to them (why?! ).  Since Neps are not yellow (if I can help it), they settle on the plastic squares first and find only axle grease on the menu.  They don't actually attack Nepenthes but flying around the nursery and settling on plants by chance can spread fungal diseases.

To answer your question Josh, These are from 1,850m which is the location harles Clarke went to. Specimens from another mountain at 1,750m are similar but possibly more robust, with a higher proportion of the plants having red coloration.

By golly Rob, I'll need that other N. jacquelineae too then! Any idea of a release date for the second N. jacquelineae population?

I'm a greedy plant collector aren't I? If I got a Nep a day I would still want more!
alien.gif

Ahh Josh, you'll have to be patient for that one. we didn't have many seeds of the 1,750m form in the first place and it's still in the lab being multiplied up. About spring next year would be my best guess, sorry!

I think I can still here Josh's scream of frustration and anguish
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
!

Ha!
tounge.gif

It's actually quite alright Steve, a desire for that next "must have" plant is probably what keeps me addicted.

I should really focus my energies on getting bigger places to grow them (a house with some land so I can construct a greenhouse or two one LL and one HL) instead of buying more plants but new plants are cheaper/easier than trying to get a mortgage for an old farmhouse and some acreage! It really will have to happen soon though or else just turn the whole condo into a steamy grow room!
biggrin.gif

Hi Rob, Tony and everybody else!!

It'd be nice to analyze the populations of N. jacquelinae and compare them with each other. I wonder if the presumptive N. izumiae can be propagated on its own or crossed with another one of the opposite sex to see if you still get that specific pitcher shape!!. It is a shame that where I live the collection of Nepenthes is not as broad as it is in the states!!. Otherwise, i would be competing with Josh by now!!.

Gus

I love that #2 nep too Joel! That is a very impressive collection you have there!
Kevin

Back