What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash!

Hi
Don't you just hate it when your Nepenthes plant comes crashing to the floor!!
confused.gif

Found my flourishing N. merrilliana x alata all over the bathroom floor. The freshly opened pitcher split open
sad.gif

Thankfully the stem and new growing point are intact. Guess it might sulk for a while now
rolleyes.gif

cheers

bill

Arg! What happened? Do you have a michievous pet?
As long as your growth points weren't disturbed, I doubt this will really effect the growth of the plant.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Sep. 10 2003,4:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Arg!  What happened?  Do you have a michievous pet?  
As long as your growth points weren't disturbed, I doubt this will really effect the growth of the plant.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi
Well I have three cats, but I don't think it was them
wink.gif

More likely the centre of gravity as the stem is starting to lean
rolleyes.gif
Will be repotting it into a heavier pot. Sure it will be fine, but it always seems its the latest growth that always gets the damage
mad.gif

cheers

bill

I'm sorry to hear that.
sad.gif
I hate plant accidents but we all have them. But like you said, its salvageable so its a little set back.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery!

Suzanne

Yup I know all about plant accidents but so far they've both turned out OK for me.

First I was in a rush doing some watering and knocked the lid of my lowland tank into the tank which beheaded my N. bicalcarata but it didn't set it back more than a month as it had luckily sheared off just the next two leaves. Miraculously the growing tip ws still there and unharmed.

Then next time I bumped my N. inermis and knocked it off it's hanger. I noticed that after a year it had almost no roots so I cut off the rootless stem, replanted in fresh LFS and some living moss around the bare stem. Now it's pitchering and growing faster than ever!

Just doctor it up where needed and put it back to the conditions it was in when it was florishing and it should be just fine.

Ooh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully the damage done can be contained, and the plant'll recover quickly.

I will be pulling for you and I know how you feel. I dropped my small N. campanulata about 4 feet to the floor. Luckely it landed on the bottom and didn't break it off. However, it had just started to pitcher and has gone back to its stressed state.
sad.gif

Good luck, I am sure it will be ok. They are tough in most cases.

Back