What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two new babies...

N. sibuyanensis and N. northiana showed up today. They're pretty tiny but I'll see what I can do about that.
smile.gif

I've got a northiana, it took a long while to get it settled in after receiving it but now it's making 3" pitchers. Hot and humid are good keywords for this one. People say it is a "lowlight" plant but mine really grows much better (and is more colorful) in bright light.

Have fun!

i do agree with the above statement with it taking a while for it to adapt and seddle in. the one i imported myself just started it seddle in and the other one is in better shape but still it does take a while. keep it warm and humid. if lift in shaded area it will grow really slow. i just moved both of them to a brighter area but it is still to soon to tell if it is going to make a diff.

When I moved it from a dark to bright terrarium the leaves got very small and thick and developed white flakes like dandruff on the top surface of the leaves but after a couple months the leaves "hardened off" or so and started making nice red & white pitchers and started flaring out the peristome.

Since I've lately been fooling with the lowland plants in getting their new chamber just right the latest pitcher (made in the "dark" of the lighting setup upgrade) the pitcher was the same size 3" as the last one but not even half as red in veining and also the perisome isn't as flared on this pitcher either. It might be a different story with real sunlight I only use artificial lights cos my window choices suck!
wink.gif

i have been dealing w/ the light set up for all the plants ever since Nov. most of the plants do get the right amount of light but, some i have in a less light situaltion not as close the the fixture. the ones i do notice that are not growing i have been moving around to get them closer to the light. the one thing that really amazes me is that i have the largest truncata i have away from the light only getting have of it and it is actually growing and putting out a leave and a new pitcher since i moved them all indoors. even with the smllone i have it has finally put out a new leaf and is forming a small pitcher and i have had that one for quit some time now. actually it does take some time for all the plants to situate them selves you the enviroment that you are going them in. i'm just kind of worried about when it gets warm enough out again to place them all out side to grow again if they are going to g into shock of slow down in growth again.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'm just kind of worried about when it gets warm enough out again to place them all out side to grow again if they are going to g into shock of slow down in growth again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. How long does it take a, say x Judith Finn, to acclimate to a new enviroment (like moving from terrarrium to deck railing)? They won't go through shipping or bad nursery treatment, just the shock of a new location.
My deck railing is perfect for intermediat/highland neps as far as temperature goes (in the summer), but humidity fluxuates a lot (usually 40 to 100 %). My terrarrium conditions are much more stable (always hot and humid).

the only time so far that i have noticed any shock is on shipment of the plants. i see more stress with them being shipped from overseas. it does take them quit a while for them to actually get acustom to being set back into a diff growing enviroment. the first thing i was told when i bought a plant was to make shore the plant has been in the nursery for at least a yr. or to hold the plant for a yr. to give it a rest period. with that being in mind it is actually giving the plant a rest period and time to ajust before being sent out again to some place else.

Back