What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get a tobaica to pitcher

Hi! I got this nep. tobaica this summer in Utah and I would like to know how to get it to pitcher. it has about 1 good pitcher, and the rest of the leaves have no pitchers because they had black dead ones I removed or have a vine ending in a brown hairy, tiny, pitcher shaped thing. Any suggestions? Right now it is in a large plastic box covered in clear plastic at the top with some flourescent light. It is in pure peat, and I water it with distilled water from the market.

Hmm well you did provide some information which is helpful. It would also be nice to know how the plant is growing. Pure peat would not be my choice for mix unless your really careful to only keep it moist and not soaking wet. Something with a bit of drainage would be preferable.. Many folks use a mix of 50/50 peat/perlite. Although I prefer a mix of chopped up sphagnum/perlite/fir bark or coconut husk chips and a little peat.

Now to answer your question on pitchering as best I can from the information provided. Presuming the plant is healthy and growing well:

You mention you had the plant since Summer. Perhaps it has not settled in yet. It can take several months or longer for a Nepenthes to settle in to a new environment and begin forming new pitchers.

I am of the opinion that when a plant is healthy and well settled and still not making pitchers then it is usually either low humidity or low light. Sounds like you have the humidity issue covered with the grow chamber and the fact the plant still has a pitcher on it. SOOOO I am guessing your problem is insufficient light levels. You mention fluorescent light which is good, but how much and how close is the plant to the lights? Does the plant receive any sunlight?

Tony

If this plant needs a large amount of light, then I think you are right about low light level. The flourescent lamp is quite a bit away (about 4 feet) because I am cutting down on light usse and this one light serves a bunch of plants. However, I guess I'll start using this other flourescent lamp above it that I stopped leaving on a while ago. thanks for the help.
biggrin.gif

Not sure why your "cutting down on light usse". 4 feet is a LONG distance to light plants with a fluorescent lamp. If it is a regular 2 tube shoplight it should be within 6-10 inches of the plants roughly. If your trying to light a progressively larger area so you can fit more plants you can't do it by moving the light away. You need to add more lights.

Tony

Hey Droseradude,
I have a tobaica that recently exploded for me. I think, since you have everything else covered, that Tony is right. you need more light. Tobaica, in my experience, should be a very prolific pitcher-er.

Hi. I just got my N. tobaica from malaysia, and might be able to say a word or two. It apears the plant was grown in medium-high light, as the leaves are green, with a little bit of red. The plant has several pink pitchers as well. Other than that, I cant really help you. Good luck.

Thanx for the help!
smile.gif
While we're on the subject of toboica pitchers, how do you get them to create their "water" in the pitchers? When I got it it didn't have any. Is this a mater of light too? It doesn't seem like light would effect liquid production much.
confused.gif

Hey droseradude!
The "water" you are referring to is the liquid (read acid
smile.gif
wow.gif
alien.gif
) J/k, although it is an enzyme that after the insect is attracted to the pitchers, when it falls over the peristome (lip) due to the waxyness, the insect will slip over trying to get the sweetest necter, and then it lands in the enzymes, which then digest and break down the "soft parts" of the insect (or arachnid or what not
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
) Anyways, you really wanted to know how to get the liquid, which is easy, every new pitcher has its own, and as it captures prey, the enzymes released are stronger and stronger. Sorry if I didn't describe this perfectly, I feel a tiny bit lazy... Anyways, GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hi all:

I think i mentioned to Tony my problem some months ago. I had and still have the same problem. My tobaica and ventricosa refuses to pitcher. Some may argue, well, you have low light levels or low humidity. But then, how somebody could explain why my ovata, lowii, rokko X veitchii, eymae X vetichii, stenophylla X spathulata and 3 or 4 other types are pitchering under the same conditions!!. The two plants look very healthy, they are even growing a new basal bud. I think these plants love heat!!, and I am waiting for summer to hit Australia to prove my point. Please remember this thread, because i am going to prove myself wrong or right soon!!

Gus

Gus

Back