What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep. gracilis stem brownv from leaves

the 2 leaves on the bottom turned brown i cut them off, the brown kept going, now the stem from where i cut the 1st leave off is brown all the way down to the little 4 leaves at the bottom under these 2 leaves, these little leaves have no pitchers, dark green, and are gonna die. now, above these 2 leaves i cut off, is the rest of the plant, it just sprout a new pitcher, open and all, didnt look like it had fluid, but i threw a fly into it anyways, theres fluid in it now
smile.gif
and theres new leaves growing on the top, and new pitchers starting at the top too, at the bottom where it looks bad, theres 2 new little plants coming up out of the soil, with pitchers, my question is this, can i cut off the big part, all the way down to the bottom, then cut off the brown part, take the top part left over, use root tone, then repot that? will it kill off the new growth at top? this looks to me when done, i'll have 3 gracilis plants, is this all possible?

thanks on any info on this
smile.gif

old leaves do die you know that right?

mine are turning brown too while the rest is keep on growing

i made cuttings of nep. gracilis yesterday. i just cut 3 growing points from the plant down by the stem that was woody looking. then cut them in half. put them in a potting mix. they still look ok to me right now. i did take one and placed it into a cup of water. to see if it will grow roots that was. i did read that nep. g is really easy to root and it mentioned it will root in only water. to i'm trying one cutting that way.
to answer your question. if the stem is hard enought it should do fine.
on a diff. plant i took a cutting from the tip of the stem and the stem was still soft and green. from watching it for a couple of day i don't think the cutting is going to make it.
so i would wait till the stem is brown and dry looking to take a cutting. just my 2cents

Ok, am I understanding that you have a woody main stem, and 2 basal shoots coming out of the ground at the base?

If so, you may want to wait for the basal shoots to mature a little before you cut the main one.

But the main stem should be fine if you cut it, soak in a strong superthrive/fungicide solution for a few minutes, dip in rooting hormone, and keep super humid after planting.

If there are pitchers, some schoold of thought say snipem, I say fillem to the brim with distilled water since neps can absorb water back through the pitchers, this should help it recover and send out roots.

Though, My plants are all to small to take cuttings so my experience is limited (That was me throwing a grain of salt between your eyes.)

Back