What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. eustacya var. waxyensis

I've had my N. eustachya for a while now and I'm pleased with the way it's growing but the top surfaces of the leaves have a very thick whitish waxy coating or something that almost resembles calcium or sodium stains. I only use R/O and distilled water combined with occasional light doses of fertilizer.
I tried the trick of washing the leaves with a slice of lemon but all I got was a lemon smelling terrarium for a while the waxy coating remained on the leaves.
What is this coating? Do all eustachya make this?
None of my other plants make any coatings on their leaves like this.

I know what you mean
smile.gif
. My N. x judith finn sometimes does this. Its perfectly normal and natural.

I know what you mean swords, my eustachya has whitish stains on the older leaves. I always thought that they came from the fungicide that I use...
confused.gif

Jœl

Hi Josh,

if your plant is grown under very high light levels the waxy coating might be in fact a layer of wax. Nepenthes do this to reduce evaporation of water under these conditions. You won't be able to wash it away with some acid solution though.

Joachim

Joachim,
My 75 gallon lowland tank has 240 watts of light and a tinfoil wrap over it so all plants receive very intense light all the time. All the plants get red coloration (not burning) however the N. eustachya just makes this waxy layer instead of getting more colorful.
Would the eustachya be happier in less bright light? Is it harmful to have it in such bright light that it's making this waxy layer all the time?

Hi Josh,

as long as the plant pitchers well I won't worry at all. My experience with some of my Nepenthes is, that the waxy layer will not get as thick under higher humidity as under lower humidity. So plants grown on a windowsill without increased humidity will have a very thick layer of wax.

Joachim

Humidity in my lowland tank is about 80-85% at pot level during the day (according to my gage) but I have just added a small waterpump (a Duetto 100 set to 25 gph) to the resivor under the false bottom to agitate the water and initiate more exchange between water and air. Upon checking the air today my hand & face starts to sweat almost instantly and the air is very heavy when I open the enclosure so I think this little pump will be a good addition.

Back