What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves darkening really quickly..

schloaty

Staff member
Hi Guys,
I just put up new lights over my lowland tank. In about two days, most of my neps have started getting "sun tanned." Am I burning my plants? If so, do you think it's too much light (not likely
confused.gif
) or the lights are too hot? I've put up a fan just in case....

It doesn't take long for plants to "color up" when you add more light. If you make sure that your humidity is 80%+ the higher light shouldn't damage your plants but the increase in light may stun them for a while til they adjust to it but they will be happier/healthier with more light, just be sure the humidity stays high or they can become red & crispy! Having the tank nearly sealed will help you do that. Temps aren't a big worry for lowlanders as so long as the temps don't get above 90*F you should be OK. My lowlanders thrive in hot stangnant air, whereas my highlanders like a cool, humid and windy terrarium.

Good luck!

It would help if you described what you mean by "darkening really quickly" and "sun tanned" Old leaves, new leaves, spots/splotches on the leaves, the whole leaf etc.

What was your old lighting system and distance to the plants? What is your new lighting system and distance to the plants. Have you placed your hand at the level of the plants to see if it feels hot with the light on?

Tony

Tony, I should know better by now
sad.gif
tounge.gif

Sorry

Better description!!

All leaves are darkening except the brand new ones that haven't un-furled yet. The colorations seems like it begins in different places on each leaf
confused.gif
. At any rate, once the coloration begins, it expands to cover more of the leaf. I have put my hand in the grow chamber, but not at the leaf level. I'll do that tonight to see how hot it feels.
The coloration is more maroon than brown or yellow, but that might just be because it's only the beginning
confused.gif

Man, I wish I had a digi-cam.....
mad.gif

Probably just a response to more intense light. Most Nepenthes will do that and get a redish coloring. The time to worry is if it looks like the leaf is blistering or in worse cases getting sunken dry areas where the light is strongest.
Tony

Thought I would add something...

Higher light levels for lowlanders can be quite extrodinary for changes in growth, pitcher production for me! My N.Merrilliana's and N.Gracilis "Nigrapurpurea" were doing poorly wiht low light levels. Gracilis WAS pitchering but not well and with greenish pitchers not tannish or brownsh (should be black in summer when light is higher) and my Merrilliana's completly ceased growth AND pitcher production. So I add 1 1 ft 15 watt flourescent light and the results were miraculous. leaves flew out of the palnt and color came up and the Merrilliana's are making absolutely big,colorful,plump pitchers. BTW, merrilliana like higher light levels once it apporaches 6 inches plus diamter or so. So, give you plant some time and hopefully what happened to me will happen to you too! Good luck.
smile.gif

<<big sigh of releif>>

Thanks bunches everyone!
biggrin.gif

I'll let y'all know if everything works out

Back