What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well I figured I was going to get a nep. I have a 10 gal. terrarium that i was going to use. I was going to make it a highland terrarium and grow mainly N. ventricosa. What is the best type of soil to use? Peat/perlite or peat/sand mix?What should the temps. be (night and day) what should the hum. be, and finally what can i use to gat the humidity at what Ventricosas perfer?Oh, and 2 more things, what kind of lights shoulod I use, and how should the soil mix go, what i was thinking was this,

/////////////////////  this is 3 or 4 inches the peat mix        
                  ------------------  
                  /////////////////////  this is about an 1 1/2 of perlite

Is this ok? Abnd what should I do for the watering, how much, when, should the soil be kept damp Thank you sooooo much, sorry this is so hard to understand and what not, thanks again,
                           Kevin

a mix for most highland neps is. l/f moss,charcoal,fine orchid bark,peat moss.1:1:1:1 mix
you can buy a ultrasonic humidifier to keep the humidity at 80%
lighting you can get a 4' flor. light fixture and put in soft white,sun shine,grow light.
day temp below 80
night temp 65-70

Thanks George, will a 1:1 peat/perlite mix work? And maybe some charcoal?If i cannot get a humidifier, what else can work? Thanks,
Kevin

put a tray in the bottom of the tank about 2-3 from the bottom so the water will sit down there and not in your mix.
put some moss in w/ the mix but i always add a bag of orchid mix in with the potting soil. seam alot of the Nep plants enjoy it. i always check this web pages before i get a plant

Plants With Attitude

Nepenthes University

Sarracenialuver,

Peat/perlite should work fine for this species, if you have trouble finding the other components people have suggested. There is no ultimate compost. The mix will be lighter and fluffier if you go a little more on the perlite side.
If, like George said, you have water in the bottom of the tank, that will keep the humidty up, especially if you have the top mostly covered(even with saran wrap).

Regards,

Joe

thanks, i will have a light fixture thing that fits onto the top of the teerarium, thats were the lights are, i was wondering if the humidifier that Pft sells is small enough for a 10 gallon terrarium.
Kevin

Back