What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gracillis

Symptoms.
started with yellow leaves. know I've noticed visisble dardening of the veins to a brown color. I'm guessing some sort of fungus and sprayed with clearly.

the plant is only about 5cm tall and not much more across so it doesn't have long to live if I don't figure it out.

It has a happy bright environment of constant 72-75 degrees and extremely humid.

well what do ya think people?
confused.gif
??

thanks
joe

potted in 6in pot with...
lfs, shredded peat, orchid bark,charcoal.

joe

joe, you might want to take out the bark and charcoal on that one. mine is in just peat/lfs. also check of bugs and fungis

I guess I should look up the proper potting mix for this one and several other of my neps. How would this cause the darkening of viens in an otherwise green leaf?? I thought that was a fungus symptom.

joe

Can you attach a photo? I have something similar happening to one of my h ybrid cuttings. The leaves turned yellowish and get dark redish brown veins and redish spots. But its not rust because that's like powdery. This is leaf coloration. The leaves are not deformed and the hybrid is producing pitchers like usual.

Someone told me it was normal, but then it spread to my gymnamphora so I'm less certain now. But the other two plants in the terrarium are fine. So duh I don't know.

I'll attach a photo of mine in the next couple days and we can compare.

(grin)

pic005.jpg

one picture. ignore the damaged leaf on the bottom right. that is shipping damage. what I'm concerned with is the brown/yellow occuring on the leaves that works its way from the beginning of the leaf to the tip.

joe

joe, did you just get that plant or have you had it for a while. it looks like it is in shock to me from shipping and it is getting used to you condition. the growing point of if it. is it stiff or looks like the rest of the plant

How long have you had the plant?

Looks to me like you just got it recently and that it was fairly unestablished. Or perhaps was growing in a very humid low light environment. Several of the leaves that have drooped and rolled up a bit show moisture stress. Also appears to me to be some burning from bright light. Notice the high points of each leaf are showing more discoloration than parts that are lower and/or drooped over. What kind of light is it getting?

At this point keep the humidity very high and the potting mix moist but not soggy. Put it in a sealed baggie if need be. Warm temperatures like you have. And indirect light.
Tony

I've got not experience with neps but that looks like mite damage. The deformed tips, plus the fact that you said it spread to some other plants, but not all the other plants.

Well, I know next to nothing on Neps, but if that where a VFT I'd say that the conditions are too humid. The yellow starting at the base and going to the tip almost always happens when the leaves get almost standing water on them from the condinsation.

You can try letting it dry for a day, or you can keep doing whatever you are doing right now and give the info the others have already asked for
smile.gif
That will make it easyer for people to know what your dealing with.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ Dec. 08 2002,8:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've got not experience with neps but that looks like mite damage. The deformed tips, plus the fact that you said it spread to some other plants, but not all the other plants.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
if this is the case, those dealing witrh the spreding yellow may wish to place a sundew nest to the plants and see if any little red/black/yellow dots get stuck to it

It is extremely humid in the grow chamber so I don't think it is suffering from moisture stress. Also it gets misted a few times a day because it is next to my tissue culture babies.

Lighting for the 3x3x4 foot chamber is provided by 6 four foot chromo 50s and 2 four foot soft whites. 320watts of florescent light. No plant has complained yet.

It is new, very new, i got it from this site during the sail a couple weeks ago. The growth tip looks good and the leaves aren't deformed really just yellowing and curling over the last few days. It never really had a growth spirt to say it settled in so it may very well be shock if this is what shock looks like.

No the symptoms haven't spread to other plants yet.

thanks all
joe

Um joseph

Are you sure that that's an N gracilis? The leaves look more like they're from an N ventricosa. Not that I'm an expert on this or anything.... it's just those leaves don't look like the ones on my gracilis.
confused.gif

Also, I believe that the moisure stress Tony was talking about can occur in a humid environment if the root system isn't working well (i.e. the roots have rotted).

Jœl

Okay, just to reiterate, I think the plant is TOO wet.

Joel - It looks like N. gracilis to me. There are many different forms from various locations so it is possible that it looks different from yours. Plant form does vary.

Tim - It could be mites but I doubt it since it is very new and the damage occured quickly. Burning of the leaves on a newly acquired Nepenthes looks very similiar. The reason why I don't think it is mites is because the damage is uniform over the bulk of the plants where as mite damage is usually not so uniform. Also if you look closely the parts of the leaves that are not horizontal to the light source are not as affected. Nor is the smaller shoot underneath the one overhanging leaf.

Sorry I also don't see where he mentions it spreading to other plants?

Several things here...

Any new Nepenthes should be acclimated to your own growing conditions slowly. Regardless of how it was grown originally. 5days in a dark box is enough so that when it is taken out and put in very bright light (which you have) that it might burn. To compound the problem the plant IS in moisture stress regardless of the high humidity. This is very clear by the drooped and folded down leaves. Particularly evident in the 3 large upper leaves on the taller shoot.

I would suggest...

Giving the plant a good drink of water and let it drain very well. Then putting it in a sealed ziploc on the side of the terrarium where the light is not as bright. Keep an eye on it for any fungus and periodically open the bag briefly. Give it 2-3 weeks and see how it does.
Tony

ok tony,

I'll take your word for it, perhaps it became moisture stressed during shipping since it does look quite droopy like an underwatered plant. I was not aware that a plant needed to be acclimated to florescent lighting so as you all may be thinking I threw it in there and possibly burned it. Now obviously the visible leaves are going to die quickly and possibly create a severe case of shock...maybe. my question now is will the new growth such as the emerging leaf be OK in the bright envirnment or do I need to acclimate for light as well as moisture shock. It's already been sprayed for fungus and with a systemic poison in case it was mites.

so ziplock it is and the question is how much shade? I don't really have any dark spots unless I cover it with something?

joe

also

thanks for the advise everyone.

The plant is now in one of those 50% light shade hydroponic chambers. Also known as a spray painted ziploc.

joe

I am surprised also that it reacted that way to the lights. You do have quite a few though and perhaps it was a little light starved previously. I think when it settles in and starts making new growth it will do fine for you with the light set up you have. You should start to see some active growth in a week or two. Once you see that you can start opening the bag up a little periodically and let it get the normal amount of light.
Tony

Back