What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some photos, badly taken

• Thread starter colinliew
  • Start date
Here are photos of some neps I grow. Unfortunately I'm still stuck in the non-digital camera era, so forgive me if they weren't taken under optimum conditions. Testing...

Nepenthes Photos

The pictures are of N. x Ventrata, N. x Gentle, N. rafflesiana (may be var. elongea) and what I suspect is N. alata var. spotted

Thanks for showing the big N. x Gentle! I just got this a few weeks ago and only have seen green 3" pitchers. How long have you had that plant? How large are the leaves & pitchers? Sure looks happy!

As far as I know the parentage of this hybrid is unknown but the lid and long thin pitcher body sure reminds me of N. fusca. The leaves remind me of my maxima hybrids. I wonder if it could be some form of maxima x fusca? or Mixta x fusca...

nice photos! especially the N raff...mine is still really small...where did you get it?

also how long does it take for a N raff to be matured?©s

i have the same N gentle as him cuz we bought it from the same place...my N . gentle has big pitchers too but it is drying up....now my N gentle is producing 3" small green pitchers cuz some1 did a cutting on it

I'll try and develop more and better pictures, I could have got the Gentle at a better angle.

Swords, actually the N. x Gentle isn't doing as well as it appears. When I bought it about a month and a half ago, it had those large pitchers you see. Now, one of the pitchers is browning and shrivelling. But what you don't see are the new pitchers, very green and very small. I'm hoping it acclimatises soon.

wezx, that's the rafflesiana I bought from Redhill. It'll take a month or two to get up to speed, I'm not sure if the pitchers will get any larger.

N. 'Gentle' appears to be the same thing as N. 'Corn.bak'. It is sold as a variety of maxima, but we firmly believe its the hybrid of maxima x fusca. We grow it here in south Florida, and during the late summer heat, it produces smaller pitchers. Right now, ours are flowering. It's male.

Trent

Cool. Lowland baskets, I can relate. I cannot wait until my rafflesiana get big enough to get really distinctive. See! There's that durn spotted alata that can look like a coccinea without light sometimes, if you look at it just wrong, which I do.
alien.gif

Beagle, it's probably just the poor angle at which I took the pictures
smile.gif

Alata doesn't have the generally rounder and curved pitchers inherited from rafflesiana. It's longer and slimmer than the coccinea et al hybrids. At least, that's my way of telling them apart
biggrin.gif

colinliew,

Throw in a sort-of nasty looking coccinea (from Lowe's -- needed light, space, water, and bugs -- in that order) and an internet photo of a nice fat reddish spotted alata. Then, in my mind, I imagined the unhealthy looking coccinea getting healthy into a spotted alata.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. It may not be a GOOD story...

Thanks for the tips though. I'm always looking for nep info to abosorb. It's such a small subject.
biggrin.gif

You must be in the sub-tropics, eh?

Perhaps it's the angle but the wings in the second picture on your 'spotted alata' don't look quite right. I am guessing it has something else in it...Still very pretty but I would be careful about labeling it N. alata.

Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We grow it here in south Florida, and during the late summer heat, it produces smaller pitchers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Trent do you suppose that N. Gentle would rather be in highland conditions? My N. fusca likes highland conditions but my other two unknown N. maxima hybrids (#1 "Red" and #2 "Yellow") refuse to pitcher in anything but lowland conditions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alata doesn't have the generally rounder and curved pitchers inherited from rafflesiana. It's longer and slimmer than the coccinea et al hybrids. At least, that's my way of telling them apart[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hold yee horses. Isn't Nep. alata a species and not a hybrid? If so, how does it inherit anything from Nep. refflesiana?

Yes, N. alata is a species (if that's what he has) as is N. rafflesiana.

N. x Coccinea is a hybrid between N. ampullaria x rafflesiana x mirabilis. N. Coccinea has slim red upper pitchers (with wings reduced to ridges) but squat(wide bottomed) lower pitchers with well defined wing hairs and pointed leaves (the tendrils run almost straight out from the pointed leaf apex). The pitchers of the "textbook" Coccinea's are all red except for the lid and persitome which are golden (the peristome will turn red in bright light though).
The hybrids which make more yellowish green pitchers with varying degrees of squatness and red speckles (often sold labeled as "N. Coccinea") are made with the same hybrid parents as N. Coccinea are named "Morganiana" and "Wriglyana" because they do not exhibit the solid bright red charachterstics of the true Coccinea. I suppose in this sense the names Coccinea, Morganiana and Wriglyana could be considered cultivar names since they all have the same parents and they are simply divided based on degree of pitcher color (and shape).

Beagle, I live smack in the tropics, almost directly on the equator.

Tony, you're probably right about the angle, but I don't know much about the spotted alata variety, so I can't tell at this stage.

swords, although I'm growing my x Gentle in lowland conditions, I've had conflicting reports on whether it prefers lowland or highland conditions.

guqin, I phrased that a little badly, I meant alata doesn't have the rounder, tubbier pitchers x coccinea inherits from rafflesiana
smile.gif

Hey Colin,
Thanks for the clarification. I was getting a bit confused.
tounge.gif

swords,

One thing I've noticed about my coccinea is that it is a lot less confusing with more light. The pitchers, now, are a deep burgundy, with some tiny yellow flecks occasionally. Before they were reddish with more green. The leaves were spotty. Now they look waxy.

I'll have to check and see how it stacks up to the ideal when it gets light tomorrow.

Thanks for explaining the coccinea, et al, group.

Colinliew,

THE Equator? Neat for neps, eh? I'd guess New Zealand or Australia if this was a game show.

I, too, like colinliew, live in Singapore and very near the Equator. We have problems trying to get the temperature down here! It is such a pity that we cannot grow highlanders, that are native to our region.

Haha, Colin's just fine, everyone, I'd change my nickname if I could
smile.gif

Close, Beagle, but I'm afraid you didn't get the Secret Square
tounge.gif
It is good climate for neps, the problem is finding any! For plants indigenous to the region, they're actually quite difficult to obtain. Also, as guqin mentioned, highlanders are generally out of the question, which is a real pity.

Furthermore, there's no one spot in the house that satisfies all the conditions, to my annoyance. Where there're lots of insects around, it isn't sunny enough, and where there is light, it's rather inaccessible!

Hi Swords and Everyone,
N. 'Gentle' or 'Korn.bak' seems to prefer intermediate to highland conditions. In winter our greenhouse typically runs about 60 degrees F at night and 85 F during the day. Last winter we had a few nights drop down to about 50 F (outside it was 36F), and it didn't bother them at all. Even the ampullarias and bicals took it, it was only a couple of consecutive nights, and the days were pushing 90F. In winter, we get 7 to 8 inch pitchers on 'Gentle'.
Trent

Just a little more info on N. coccinea: the plants being sold in chain store operations (Lowe's etc.) are tc plants from Belgium. They are labelled coccinea, and most likely, N. coccinea was used as the female parent. Not sure as to what was used for the pollen, but it could very well be an N. coccinea as well. Look at it this way. The seed used to produce the tc clones would be (N. coccinea x N. coccinea). The old original victorian cross was named by James Taplin, and they were all the red color pitchered seedlings from the grex. Some are male and some are female. Like what Swords said, the cross was (mirabilis x hookeriana). This same and subsequent crossing by Taplin resulted in other names; N. paradisae, N. robusta, N. Lawrenciana and Willian Court made the same cross and called it N. Wrigleyana. As far as I know, N. Morganiana is the only true cultivar-a single plant-its female and it was the result of the reciprocal crossing of (hookeriana x mirabilis), which might account for its more extreme tubby look.
Nepenthes hybrids are fun too!

Trent

Back