What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving

Hey Pat I'd pay for my shipping! To ship a cutting you simply have to root it first IMO to increase success rate during shipping. If you don't root it it may/could rot during transit. To pack it up I have had cutting come in various mixes, Sphagnum,peat/perlite,etc. I personally would place it in Spahgnum and wrap plastic wrap around the spagnum then rubber band the palstic to the stem so it won't fall off, make sure the spahgnum is very moist and send away.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have time to get the cuttings to root (I originally typed "rot", whoops), I'm moving next Friday. I am considering mailing them out though. I would probably have to ask to have the money mailed to Phil & Jeff because of the simple fact that I'm not going to be here much longer. I also haven't had any luck obtaining sphagnum here, so that's not an option.

Pat

You all realize that Pat is in Japan?? I suppose an unmarked package might make it past customs and USDA, but they will be none too happy if they catch it arriving without proper import permits and documents.
Tony

I have had reasonable success with mailing plants through the Japanese postal system. Its a pain, but at least its legal.

But it does take quite a bit longer..

Well I have thought about it... I don't think its a good idea. If I could do it for free I would.. But I"m not going to ask for S&H money without being able to guarentee a live plant.. So I guess that leaves (no pun intended) the plant with me.. Hopefully I can try to cut one of them up (yup two large ones
smile.gif
) after I move and get settled in. I have never (successfully) done Nepenethes cuttings, so we'll see.

Pat

I wouldn't know about Japanese law on exporting plants.

In the US exportation of plants is USFW while importation is handled by USDA and they have different rules and permits.

For plants to be allowed to enter the US they need. CITES documents and a Phytosanitary certificate (these would be provided by the country the plants are coming from). You would also need in import sticker from the person they are being shipped to (if their country requires one: Japan has no requirement for an import permit. Provided by the person doing the importing).

Do people send stuff without documents? probably often. Does some of it make it through? Probably often.

I would agree that you should wait until your in the US. Then you can ship to anyone within the US or US province without any hassles or risks with red tape.

I am not aware to what extent all these regulations pertain to your own plants that are traveling with you in response to moving. CITES is more to deal with international trade/sale and your not selling or trading them in this case. Phytosanitary is to deal with pests/disease and hence may apply. ??

T

I'm moving next Wed. Does anyone know if they would allow you to carry a 15x14x14 in. box on an airplane with you? I wouldn't haveto ship, or even transplant, my plants if they would.

My understanding is that it has to fit under the seat infront of you or in the overhead compartment.

Best bet is call the airline your flying and ask.
Tony

Yeah, I'm going to do that today. I reeeallly hope it will fit.

Back