What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving

G

OK. As you all know, I'm moving to Alaska. I plan on shipping my nepenthes in boxes, and I was wondering how I go about doing that. And, should I leave the nepenthes in their pots, or what?

If I were going to alaska with my neps, I would put them, pots and all, in zip lock bags and then put them inside of a syrofoam cooler. I've never done this, but I believe that this would keep them moist for the trip and keep the temps from fluctuating. Good luck with your move!

Joel

I'm just worried they'll get crushed by their pots if the box is turned over. Would it work if I put a note telling the people to keep it right side up?

Why not take it with you in the car?
smile.gif
If you can't YES, put a HUGE black arrow that says FRAGILE KEEP ARROW UP AT ALL TIMES. Or something like that.

Nathaniel,

You can pull each plant from the pot....Leave some potting mix around roots and then wrap the ball with glad wrap or saran wrap. Put a rubber band around the ball to keep it balled and toss the whole nepenthes in Zip Lock bag. Get a foam cooler or mailer and put them all inside....and tape and mail it priority making sure you will be in AK to pick them up and repot them. The foam box will insure that the plants don't get either too hot or cold. Repot them when you get them. Good luck.

Kim

Thanks.:) And just to clear a few things up, I'm going to be taking a 7 hour trip on an airplane, and it would be difficult to take all my plants with me. Also, temps. in Alaska are in the 70's, so I may not need to worry about that.

I would do as Kim suggests. I've received plants from him shipped in that fashion and they arrived in perfect condition and are growing beautifully now.

Okedoke.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I was about to start a smiliar thread. I'm moving too soon. :-(

I have some N.alata plants that have almost 3 foot long vines. I was wondering if I should cut them up for cuttings before I move. I know it might be more stressfull but I need to send the plants in small boxes. Maybe I should just give them away.
smile.gif

Pat

That's the problem with growing nepenthes that produce long vines.

Yessssssssss you should give them a way.

well if you do give em a way, id like one pelase if its no prob
biggrin.gif

Darn it
sad.gif
. If I wern't moving, I'd ask for one. Oh well, I plan on ordering an alata after I move anyway
smile.gif

Sorry I don't think I can afford to mail cuttings to a bunch of people..
$5 * x number of people = price I can't afford.
smile.gif

pat

I'll pay for my shipping!

i guess i will too but itll have to be after i come back from vacation on august 4th
sad.gif

i am only able to get 2 more neps, thats truncata and gracilis, then no more plants until i come back

Does anyone have any experience mailing cuttings? Is it safe to mail unestablished cuttings?

Pat

i think you can mail the cuttings in a plastic bag, then before you zip it shut have a little hole in the top and blow some air into it so it dosnt get that dry or stale or whatever, and then close it, should be find, then when you put in a box use that hard paper like pft usues or that foam small peices that are shaped in a S or somehitng

i neevr did it but just sayign stuff of the top of my head
wink.gif

Or maybe you should wrap it in sphagnum.

Back