What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centipede in my Nepenthes...

I recently rescued a Nepenthes from our local Home Depot (they were all in horrible condition... many rotting and dying).

As I was watering it yesterday and saw a centipede weaving in and out of the live peat moss it originally came in.

Is this ok or should I be concerned? My traps are still faily small so there's no way that the 'pede will crawl into the traps......
confused.gif

I wouldn't worry. Most centepeeds are predators, so they won't eat the plant.

I wouldn't say it being in your soil nessacarily good or bad but I would make an attempt to go in and pluck him out with a pair of forceps.

The Nep I bought at our Home Depot had a centipede too.. along with a bunch of little long white worms that were on the underside of a leaf and a huge spider.. I plucked them all off and fed the spider to my VFT.

same prob here... i used the dunk method and ALOT more bugs came out than met the eye... then i went to the lake for some wake boarding... so the plants were sunk for 3 days... now they look like they are going to die... they may come back.... i dunno... anyway, yeah, there were alot of bugs... many centepedes, (white and brown) many little black spiders, long white worms, and some little black dot bugs.. thank god for quaranteens before introducing to the rest!!! i hate bugs. (maybe that is why i like cps?!@$>)?
smile.gif

andrew

Ram Puppy <<< shivers >>>

I hate centipedes... you have never known the fear of one until you find a 8 inch long one crawling around on your bare chest...

<<< shivers again for effect... >>>

just so ya knows... centepede bites hurt like the dickens, and carry poison... so be careful!
smile.gif
(on the large ones at least, I think most small ones are to small to hurt you.)

euu *shudder*
centipedes make me think of the huMONGO silverfish here in my dorm and in the showers with me!
wow.gif

yeah, it freaked me out when i found them. my brown ones were like 2 inchs long... those didn't come out untill i sunk the plants. i thought it was just the little ones. i have an e-mail out to gublers about the situation... incredible how they e-mailed back right away to tell me what i saw was a fungus knat but when i e-mailed back and said no... these are the bugs it had... 2 weeks now no further responce. i just may need to send another.....
andrew

Id leave him in he will probely control any pest if he stays. they are voracious preditors. when i was young we used to feed them lizard and roaches and any thing else that moved. Of course some down here get a good 9 inches long, interesting and pretty creature the ones we have here ar orangish and have a florescent blue line down their back, thats if i am remebering right its been alot of years since ive set out looking for them.

Joel
biggrin.gif

ah...centimpedes....the lil killer milliped wannabes lol. To me, millipeds are way nicer and cuter then those centipedes. Not much to worry about only the centis are over 3 inches long. ESPECIALLY those in TEXAS (Ram.....
tounge.gif
)

Well, if i were you guys, i would leave them in. The centis will eat the other bugs.

By special request (my girlfriend), I had to soak out the centipedes in my Nep. She was complaining that they were crawling out of the plant pot and onto the kitchen table. She said get rid of them... or don't be surprised when they end up in my soup.

(as Homer Simpson would say) Mmmm... centipede soup...
drool... drool... drool...

tounge.gif

As for 3 inch long centipedes?... man, you could raise those as pets also...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ Sep. 14 2002,4:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ram Puppy <<< shivers >>>

I hate centipedes... you have never known the fear of one until you find a 8 inch long one crawling around on your bare chest...

<<< shivers again for effect... >>>

just so ya knows... centepede bites hurt like the dickens, and carry poison... so be careful!
smile.gif
(on the large ones at least, I think most small ones are to small to hurt you.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
My Dad used to tell me about the ones in Viet Nam.

Good Lord!

Steve

They are all over in Honduras...
wow.gif
. Never picked any up, just did the river dance all over them. I would feed they to my neps. Use some tweezers and force them in.
smile.gif

travis

I keep seeing ants come out of my nepenthes maxima pot. Is that bad?
John

Back