What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your largest nep?

Hello,
I was wondering what your largest nepenthes is currently? Mine is a N. Alata "Highland Red Striped" that has a 15 inch leafspan, and 6'' pitchers. Ill have a pic up tomorrow,
Kevin

iono what you meant by biggest plant but if you mean tallest then it would be my n. gracilis , about 1 foot tall but the pitchers are really small , if its the widest plant then it would be my n. ventricosa with the diameter of 6 inches , but if you mean largest pitchers then it would be my sanguinea with 2 1/2 pitchers .
biggrin.gif

Nepenthes home depot x lowes x gublers (var. growithlikeweed)

3 or so feet across with 1 foot pitchers.  Can't figure out the heritage to save my life, but the thing sure is pretty.
Loves to be sun burnt, fertalized, soaked medium, and fed about a quarter cup of skin milk a month.  Nothing hurts it, even the rat lost.(not sure if that's a rat story of a fish tale)

Tallest plant- gracilis- I'm getting tired of cutting the one that is in my 20 gallon tall viv.(PDF tank).  Every time I cut it 3 more new branches head for the top.  I think i might replace it with my Khasiana.  It seems to grow at the same steady slow pace whether it is in the lowland room, highland room, window sill, sock drawer, or under the bed.  Kind of like a ventricosa on sedatives.

joe

My largest Nep is my N. bicalcarata 'red trap' which is 5 feet in diameter and has 8" pitchers. It's so big it simply folds it's leaves in half as I have no terrarium large enough for the poor beast!
smile.gif

My largest AND tallest is my x wrigleyana (sp?) that I got from Ludwig (thanks Ludwig&#33
wink.gif
. 18" to 24" high (not exactly sure) and about the same width.

Biggest pitchers belong to my truncata.

My largest plant is, N. Coccinea.  12 inch leaves and 3-4 inch pitchers.  That is my biggest by far!  The runner up would be N. Rafflesiana at 7-8 inches across and 1 inch pitchers!

SF

My ventricosa is 4 feet tall. My maxima 'Sulawesi' had the largest pitcher at 9" until some kid trashed it!

My Coccinea has a leaf span of two feet and it's a foot and a half tall. I guess the biggest pitchers belong to my ventrata which are 7 inch tall and a width of an inch and a half.
biggrin.gif

Gee Snowy Falcon your coccinea is really BIG!
tounge.gif
Congrats to all of you!

Ooops!  Typo!  
wink.gif
*Hits forehead repeatedly*  Sorry!  I would love it if it had 12 inch pitchers!

SF

I have a 4 to 5 year old N. khasiana x ventricosa that winds around in my large terrarium and I have to keep hacking it back (and then it sends up another stem....). It has 10 inch tall pitchers with about 1-1/2 inch diameter openings now.

I bought it at a local nursery that had no idea what it was. It was in a small glass bowl with a 1/2 inch tall pitcher.

WildBill

My biggest is Nepenthes X dyeriana which is over 4 foot tall, 3 foot wide and has some leaves over 19" excluding the tendril. Mind you, the growing stalks are tied to orchid sticks to keep it at 3 foot in diameter. The biggest pitchers are over 12" or a foot and that excludes the lid. Only the bottom of the pitcher to the top of the peristome. In fact, it got so top heavy that it fell over and landed on my bed while I was sleeping in the middle of the night! That was not pleasant since i had to repot that guy the next day. Thank god only minor damage to the plant. I plan to let it grow to the ceiling of my bedroom and put a trellis on the ceiling to let it vine and hang down! And besides that, it's a killer Nepenthes. You can see it on Peter D'Amato's book the Savage Gardern or at my website http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/nepenthesathome.htm and go to the photos section. The pitchers are gorgeous.
Late
Joel

wow joseph , how long have you had that plant mines is growing as slow as a cephaltous . neparound the house ,that nep is one of my most favorite hybrids , doy uo know a place where i can find a small plant cheap .

Got it a year ago at about 4 inches across. Like I said it's a weed. Feeding causes massive growth spurts in this one.

joe

My largest Nep is an N. coccinea. It has several growing points and a leaf span of about a foot and a half with forty some odd pitchers.

Back