What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot rot non standard container going to pieces

I've got a small rajah (4-5" in size with two or three 2 1/2" rajahs growing from the base). When I got it I put it into a neat bamboo pot I found but aparently this thing was not made for growing plants in a near saturated condition and it only lasted about 4 months and is not gonna get stronger the bottom is falling out) so I want to transplant it into a plastic net pot and I figure this would be as good of a time as any to make the small offshoots into seperate plants. My question is do you think the offshoots will root and survive?
I think it was Neps/Jeff who said the offshoots would make roots if I treated them like miniature cuttings but has anyone actually done this with such small sized plants?

Thanks for any thoughts!  
smile.gif

Hey sword, well my rajah isn't even that big yet to repot it but if i was you i would live as much soil as possible around the root to decress the chances of shock. the best person for this operation is Neps/jeff

Yes you can root small plantlets like that. Remove as carefully as possible so to minimize damage to the plantlet and the main plant. Dip in a little rooting powder and treat like a cutting.
Tony

Great, thanks Tony! I'll use my scalpel and forceps to make the cutting... if you don't remember, it is one of your rajahs!  
smile.gif

I'll leave the main plant in a nice rootball in it's soil mix but the 2-3 side shoots are not getting the light they need (at least I don't think they are) and I would hate to loose them when all I gotta do is seperate them. Plus I wanna try using laterite granule (Fe) soil additions in one pot and flourite soil additions (2 mm gravel pieces made of Fe, Mg & Ca, easily crushable and I can make the pieces smaller by putting in a dishrag and smashing with a hammer) in the other pot. The main plant will stay in plain old LFS and orchid bark and I'll see how they do.

Hey Sword, let us know how the operation goes with dividing up the triplets

Heh, the little wicker pot there? Too bad it was nice looking! Yep repot into a bigger pot if the roots are near the pot's bottom. Also have fun rooting the Rajah sideshoots, i heard they can be a pain but NOT if you use a rooting hormone. Also, I heard soaking in Superthrive will also help the shoots along.

sword did you ever divid the rajah up???

The plant hasn't outgrown the weird "bamboo/wicker" pot I had it in, the pot wasn't strong enough to withstand the wet conditions of nep soil and is falling to pieces. Each time I water the plant I wonder if the pot will make it from the catch bucket back into the terrarium! It's gotten very weak just since July or so. Maybe some company can make "asian" looking pots out of something that doesn't rot/biodegrade.

I haven't divided it yet as I still need to get a box of granulated laterite at Petco when I go in to grab some frozen foods for the killis. I wanna be ready to try soil additive experiments before I do any major steps. I've got the next two days off from work and am planning to do some potting anyway when the pygmy droseras come in so I'll probably get the project done tues or wed night I'll try and get some photos of before during and after the operation If I remember to buy some batteries... Digital Cameras seem to eat batteries like I do "fun size" halloween candy!  
biggrin.gif

Back