What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temps. what are they... (sorry)

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Okay,

I want to move into nepenthes. I keep hearing about the higland and lowland conditions... but no where (3 weeks of searching) can I find anywhere that gives me temperature ranges for these.

I realize that you've all probably answered this somewhere on these forums, for the life of me I can't find the posts though...

Thanks

Kate

the answer is in the savage garden. also there are acouple of web pages that have excellent info on growing conditions of the nepenthes plant. i will not list the names of there web sight with out asking them first. maybe the old timers in here will post there web pages.

Temps for lowlanders should be as high as you can get it in the day time but try to stray away from the extreme high 90's. Night time temps for lowlanders should be 70F or higher.

Highlanders- Day keep under 90F Night 65F or less

Ultrahighlanders- day- under 80F ideally night- 50F to low forty's for the really high growers ie: (N.villosa, N.lamii)

NepG, I don't know if you have the same temps as me, being near the water and all, but perhaps you do... During the summer that is... It gets into the hundreds here... easily. I shouldn't put my lowlanders outside?

Noticed I said in my post "ideal". This mean the plants should be under those temperatures ideally. Sure lowlanders can take 100 degrees easily but again ideally the temps I mentioned are what they are most happy with and since Maehem is wanting to begin Nepenthes I think it wouldn't be  advisable to put his brand new lowland nepenthes in 100F temperatures.  See what I mean now?  
smile.gif

Psssst!! He is a she
biggrin.gif

And thanks you were very helpfull. I really haven't been able to find the temps anywhere. As for the book suggestion checked at book stores in the area... all have it on back order until sometime in January... I am just not that paitient!!

Kate

Welcome Kate,

I would suggest www.plantswithattitude.com as a very good site for information on Nepenthes and also excellent information on growing them indoors.

Of course feel free to ask any questions any time.

Nep G has it as a pretty good range although I would say for highland, to keep it 85 or under during the day..

Of course there are also some plants like N. ventricosa, N. khasiana, N. truncata and hybrids like N. xVentrata that are very carefree and happy with just about anything you give them.
Tony

yes, that is one of the web pages that has very good info on growing Nepenthes

there is also nepenthes nursery
that Michael Catalani has

if ya can find something of one plant in one usally there is info in the other. both web pages have great info on the plants

My x Ventrata is not happy in my cold bedroom. All the pitchers are going at once. I'll turn on my humidifier I suppose, but I can't do much about the cold now... My lowlands are in a terrarium and doing well - I suppose.

So then... Ideally, those are the temps I should have. It would be that IN my house, but less light. It would be more than that, but with more light outside. Currently I have a spotted amp, a truncata, a mirabilis and a gracilis 'nigrapurpurea' as my lowlanders... And one I don't know, so it might be low too... But I'm nto sure. Should These be good ouside in the summer? And what about my ventrata and ventricosas?

As long as they are adapted to the northern sun conditions and hot temps and variating humidity conditions they should do fine. I may try a Khasiana outside in the thousand islands this year just for experimenting.
smile.gif

this year i am just going to plant a nepenthes up in a tree that is in my back yard. don't know which one yet but it will be a lowlander. don't know how to spell the name of the tree but it is the kind that they make the flowers neckles in Hawii with.

Back