What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N x cocciana

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Does anyone know where I can locate a good picture of the upper pitcher of N. x cocciana? One of the profs here has a plant that he swears is cocciana but I am more inclined to think it is a maxima hybrid

Pyro, look under topic "cobra pitchers plants"neps. there is a couple of pictures there

I've got a pretty good photo of an upper pitcher on N. x coccinea; if you send me your email address I can forward it to you...I'm at ludwig777@webtv.net...It's interesting to see that as the climbing stem of this hybrid reaches 4 feet tall or so the tendrils curl 360° before forming a pitcher, a phenomenon I've not seen on lower pitchers of this hybrid. Ludwig.

On the subject of N. x coccinea has anyone else noticed how you can see several distinct pitcher and peristome color patterns on the same plant???It depends on the location on the plant that the pitcher develops, whether it be a young side shoot off the main stem, a basal shoot pitcher, or high up on the main climbing stem. I've seen green pitchers, solid red pitchers, green with red spotted pitchers, green & red striped peristomes, solid red peristomes, and solid green peristmes, all on the same plant. It seems that the higher up on a stem a pitcher develops (the farther away from a growing point) the less spotting and more solid coloring, but I can't see a pattern that allows you to predict the green or red solid coloration. Anyone out there who hasn't cultivated this hybrid, you should get one right away, it's a very rewarding and EASY plant to succeed with.

Back